V's Take

Dear V: I’m a wanker

I love masturbating, and as far as I can tell, almost everyone does it. However, I still feel people get uncomfortable around me when I talk about masturbation publicly. It doesn’t seem to matter how graphic or tame it is. Everybody acts like I’m weird when I do it, and I don’t understand why. Am I missing something, or am I just more sexually open than most?

Sincerely,
Perpetually Hot and Bothered

Dear Hot and Bothered,

This is one of those topics that some think is no big deal and others think is completely inappropriate.  And while we may all assume that pretty much everyone plays with themselves, a study of American adults found that only 38 percent of women and 61 percent of men masturbate during a given year.  Surprising, huh?

On that note, if it’s something that you commonly feel the need to talk about, don’t let other people’s shyness keep you from doing it.  It may be that you ARE more sexually open that your friends, maybe the timing is just wrong, who knows.  Either way, masturbation is perfectly normal as well as healthy.

My advice would be keep doing what your’e doing.  If it really feels awkward, maybe tone it down a bit, but you shouldn’t feel bad about what you enjoy discussing…or what you enjoy alone in your bedroom.

Best of luck,
V.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...