Ultra hits Miami once again

It’s that eclectic, electric time of year again. That’s right, from Tuesday to Saturday, Miami Beach will be celebrating the 25th annual Winter Music Conference, an electronic dance music event. Held over five short days, the conference is jam-packed with 500 events, attracting the likes of artists, DJs, record label industry delegates and fans looking to have a good time. Of these events, one of the most anticipated and highly-acclaimed is the Ultra Music Festival.

Friday and Saturday, Miami’s Bicentennial Park will overflow with an anticipated 70,000 people sharing their love for sex, drugs and electro-dance-pop at Ultra. This year’s lineup includes acclaimed artists such as David Guetta, deadmau5, Passion Pit, Carl Cox, The Crystal Method, The Disco Biscuits, Infected Mushroom and many more.

Many students attending this year are no amateurs to the festival.

Junior Lauren Shepherd is attending Ultra for the third time, though she feels there is a downside to the festival.

“A lot of the artists that play assume that their audience wants the stereotypical DJ performance set, when really, we would much rather see them in their natural setting with instruments, which is how they typically play outside of Ultra,” Shepherd said.

Nevertheless, she looks forward to hearing certain artists perform, such as Groove Armada, Passion Pit and Pretty Lights.

Junior Alex Zinn will be playing a 30-minute set on Friday at the festival, his first gig at a major music festival.

“My friend Alana Dym, a percussion major at UM, will be joining me and we’re playing under the name Sinnzinn,” Zinn said. “My music is an influential mix of house, techno and minimal music.”

Though pricey for the average college student, tickets begin at $139.95 for a two-day pass, and $89.95 for a single-day pass. Before you complain of the post-spring break workload or your prior weekend plans, think of the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity that awaits you at Ultra and the end of the Winter Music Conference. If you do find yourself at Bicentennial Park, prepare for neon light shows, an array of drugged out DJs, a plethora of music-loving people and a weekend full of shameless fun. Don’t miss it!

Cary Goldenberg may be contacted at cgoldenberg@themiamihurricane.com.

IF YOU GO

What: Ultra Music Festival

When: Friday from 4 p.m.–12 a.m., Saturday from 12 p.m.–12 a.m.

Where: Bicentennial Park, 1075 Biscayne Boulevard, Miami

Cost: 2-Day General Admission (GA) $139.95, Friday 1-Day GA $89.95, Saturday 1-Day GA ticket $99.95

Carey Goldenberg

Senior EDGE Writer

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...

The Canes are well represented across the nation this summer with players competing in each of the t ...

The University of Miami had four student-athletes selected to the watch lists for the Maxwell Award ...

The University of Miami's Symone Mason closed out the 2018 IAAF World U20 Championships with a ...