Sports Briefs Mar 24

Baseball:
Miami’s Chris Hernandez was named the ACC Pitcher of the week this past week.  Despite a good start from fellow pitcher E.J. Encinosa, the Hurricanes dropped their second contest with UCF on Tuesday night by a score of 6-3.  The team will head to Raleigh to face the North Carolina State Wolfpack this weekend.

Women’s Basketball:

Led by All-ACC defensive team nominee Shenise Johnson, the Lady Hurricanes defeated the Florida Gators 77-64 at the BankUnited Center in the second round of the WNIT tournament this weekend.  The ‘Canes will go on to play North Carolina A&T this weekend at home where they will have an opportunity to advance to the final eight teams with a win.

Women’s Tennis:

Starting Wednesday, the Hurricanes will host a four match home stand which will feature matches against Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Brown.  The featured match-up of the weekend will pit the Hurricanes nationally-raked #7 Laura Vallverdu against Georgia Tech’s nationally-ranked #1, Irina Falconi.

Information gathered from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Four days had passed since his University of Miami basketball team squandered a 13-point second half ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ search for offensive line help is set to continue on the weekend of Jan. 26, w ...

It looks like Chad Thomas will have another opportunity to show NFL scouts that he is ready to play ...

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The Canes won four events against FGCU on Saturday while also recording a total of 11 top-three fini ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) opened the spring portion of its 2017-18 schedu ...

The Miami women's basketball resumes play Sunday at 1 p.m., at Boston College with its northern ...

The University of Miami track and field team starred in the Lone Star State, as the Hurricanes shone ...

The Miami women's tennis team dominated play on its home court Friday to open the 2018 spring s ...