Sports Briefs Mar 24

Baseball:
Miami’s Chris Hernandez was named the ACC Pitcher of the week this past week.  Despite a good start from fellow pitcher E.J. Encinosa, the Hurricanes dropped their second contest with UCF on Tuesday night by a score of 6-3.  The team will head to Raleigh to face the North Carolina State Wolfpack this weekend.

Women’s Basketball:

Led by All-ACC defensive team nominee Shenise Johnson, the Lady Hurricanes defeated the Florida Gators 77-64 at the BankUnited Center in the second round of the WNIT tournament this weekend.  The ‘Canes will go on to play North Carolina A&T this weekend at home where they will have an opportunity to advance to the final eight teams with a win.

Women’s Tennis:

Starting Wednesday, the Hurricanes will host a four match home stand which will feature matches against Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Brown.  The featured match-up of the weekend will pit the Hurricanes nationally-raked #7 Laura Vallverdu against Georgia Tech’s nationally-ranked #1, Irina Falconi.

Information gathered from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...