Sports Briefs Mar 24

Baseball:
Miami’s Chris Hernandez was named the ACC Pitcher of the week this past week.  Despite a good start from fellow pitcher E.J. Encinosa, the Hurricanes dropped their second contest with UCF on Tuesday night by a score of 6-3.  The team will head to Raleigh to face the North Carolina State Wolfpack this weekend.

Women’s Basketball:

Led by All-ACC defensive team nominee Shenise Johnson, the Lady Hurricanes defeated the Florida Gators 77-64 at the BankUnited Center in the second round of the WNIT tournament this weekend.  The ‘Canes will go on to play North Carolina A&T this weekend at home where they will have an opportunity to advance to the final eight teams with a win.

Women’s Tennis:

Starting Wednesday, the Hurricanes will host a four match home stand which will feature matches against Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Brown.  The featured match-up of the weekend will pit the Hurricanes nationally-raked #7 Laura Vallverdu against Georgia Tech’s nationally-ranked #1, Irina Falconi.

Information gathered from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...