Sports Briefs Mar 24

Baseball:
Miami’s Chris Hernandez was named the ACC Pitcher of the week this past week.  Despite a good start from fellow pitcher E.J. Encinosa, the Hurricanes dropped their second contest with UCF on Tuesday night by a score of 6-3.  The team will head to Raleigh to face the North Carolina State Wolfpack this weekend.

Women’s Basketball:

Led by All-ACC defensive team nominee Shenise Johnson, the Lady Hurricanes defeated the Florida Gators 77-64 at the BankUnited Center in the second round of the WNIT tournament this weekend.  The ‘Canes will go on to play North Carolina A&T this weekend at home where they will have an opportunity to advance to the final eight teams with a win.

Women’s Tennis:

Starting Wednesday, the Hurricanes will host a four match home stand which will feature matches against Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Virginia and Brown.  The featured match-up of the weekend will pit the Hurricanes nationally-raked #7 Laura Vallverdu against Georgia Tech’s nationally-ranked #1, Irina Falconi.

Information gathered from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be reached at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...