Phi Alpha Delta pre-law honor society

With law school applications, recommendation letters and LSAT classes, preparing for law school can be a nightmare. One fraternity on campus is making that nightmare a sweet dream by helping pre-law students along their journey.

Phi Alpha Delta is a Greek letter organization that caters to pre-law students. Founded nationally in 1902, this fraternity has a rich history and notable alumni, including President Bill Clinton, Supreme Court justice Ruth Ginsberg and Senator Chris Dodd

Here at Miami the fraternity meets every week, bringing in speakers to talk to members about law school and what you can do with a law degree. Some recent speakers have been law professors, lobbyists, jury consultants and law school students. This networking opportunity helps brothers get insight before applying to law schools.

“I’d say that Phi Alpha Delta is just its own experience,” Veronica Ramirez, a new member said. “It’s a matter of putting in the time to really reap the benefits of being a part of it.”

In addition to their chapter meetings the co-ed fraternity attends a national conference every year in Washington, D.C.  During this conference, the attendees get to network with law schools and professionals from all over the country while attending sessions with well-known speakers. The pre-law members participate in the mock trial competition and can win awards for their chapter.

Along with networking, the members use the fraternity to have fun, planning beach days and trips to the Rat as a group.

“We do a lot of the same things as a traditional fraternity,” said Kristi Mesmer, president of Phi Alpha Delta.  “We have networking but we also have socials.”

As if the members didn’t have enough on their plate, some brothers of PAD are also in social fraternities and have to make time for both organizations.

“I try to make sure that whatever it is that I’m a part of that I have the time to dedicate to it,” said Veronica Ramirez, who is also a member of Kappa Kappa Gamma. “So I try my hardest to make sure things don’t overlap.”

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

The NBA Draft is on Thursday, and the buzz around the league is that the University of Miami’s Lonni ...

Former NFL and University of Miami star Kellen Winslow Jr. was arrested Thursday for numerous allege ...

Trevor Darling's perseverance paid off. After not being selected in the NFL Draft, the former U ...

Father's Day has never been a big holiday in the Larranaga household because basketball always ...

Colder Atlantic temperatures could change hurricane season forecasts, but the trend isn't expec ...

UM neurorehabilitation expert David S. Kushner, M.D., who helps modern patients recover from brain s ...

Gino DiMare was officially introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in program history Tuesday in ...

Jaquan Johnson was named to Athlon Sports' Preseason All-America First Team, while Shaq Quarter ...

An outstanding showing at the USATF Championships earned Symone Mason a trip to the World U20 Champi ...

UM alum returns to lead Canes' MBB strength and conditioning efforts. ...

Amy Deem was recognized for the third time as the ACC Women's Outdoor Track and Field Coach of ...