Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the Editor

It’s 2010 and we’re using the same tired arguments against cannabis use. What is next, reviving that baseless “gateway drug” nonsense?
Look, marijuana is no caffeine or acetaminophen (with both of those drugs, an overdose is possible- HEY-OH!). No, seriously. It’s not the safest drug in the world, but let’s be frank about the dangers of marijuana. Where is the causal relationship between amotivational syndrome and cannabis use? Oh that’s right, there is no proven one, at least according to the World Health Organization. Perhaps lazy turds are drawn to cannabis, but that doesn’t mean that smoking cannabis makes one a lazy turd.
And “four cigarettes per joint,” another classic argument against the consumption of marijuana! Except this assumes two very silly things:
1) The joint in question is consumed by only one person. If that were true, the Musical Youth wouldn’t have been so stern with their command to “pass that dutchie” and share the love. Cigarette smokers look selfish in comparison! (But, to be fair, cigarette smokers are also less likely to demand that we try to sync Dark Side of the Moon to Wizard of Oz shortly after indulging in their vice.)
2) Everyone smoking marijuana does so by way of a joint. In reality, marijuana can be smoked or vaporized (hey look, ma, no tar!) or baked into your favorite dessert pastries if you want.
Cannabis does have demonstrable effects on the immune system, since cannabinoids bind to CB1 and CB2 receptors, which have both been found on immune cells. But show me a case of marijuana-induced infection in humans.
And don’t get me started about sex. Most studies in humans have shown at most a modest, transient impact on sex hormones. Let’s not forget that marijuana can make sex unthinkably pleasurable, even with an unfortunate case of cottonmouth.
I’m not a marijuana apologist. I think there could be real issues with cannabis psychosis in people with pre-existing conditions, but the demonization of cannabis gets us nowhere.

Timothy Bishop is a junior majoring in chemistry and mathematics. He may be contacted at tbishop@themiamihurricane.com.

Timothy Bishop

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...