YouNiversity of Miami: Bike Riders

Now it’s certainly true that everyone has the right to choose how he or she gets to class. Some choose to take the shuttle, some drive, the occasional peculiar person rollerblades or uses a scooter and the majority of us walk.

There is a small percentage of students, however, who choose to get around campus in the most irritating way possible: biking.

On one hand, our school has set up a great program for students to be able to rent or purchase bikes through UBike, which is a fantastic way to give people the opportunity to get a bike if they really want one.

On the other hand, the reality of the situation is that the system has not worked out well.

The actual rules state that all bikes must be ridden on the road with the flow of traffic as far to the right side as possible. Most people biking choose to weave and cut through hundreds of people walking along the sidewalks, narrowly avoiding hitting everyone by a matter of inches.

I cannot even tell you the number of times I’ve resisted throwing a book at a nearby biker and hoped to watch him hit a tree. I know I’m not the only one who feels that way.

Another aspect is that people get sick of their bikes, always having to lock them up, unlock them, find a bike rack and so on. When people don’t care for their bikes anymore, the result is about 30 rusting, dented, twisted bikes, locked up in a cluttered pile next to every dormitory.

Is that really what we want sitting there? You’ll never see a picture of that on the UM Web site.

The bottom line is that it takes 20 minutes to walk clear across our campus, and with the sharp turns and sometimes congested walkways, it takes nearly 15 minutes to bike across it.

Are those extra five minutes so important? What’s the rush?

Our campus is beautiful, and more of us need to appreciate that we are blessed enough to go to school here. It’s this writer’s opinion that everywhere on campus is within walking distance, as long as you take the time.

Evan Peskin is a sophomore majoring in pre-med psychology. He may be contacted at epeskin@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Peskin

Staff Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...