Club/Intramural Sports

Women’s Rugby hits hard and plays harder

Megan Moran, a University of Miami Women's Rugby captain, is tagged out in a game of touch rugby Monday night at team practice. Morgan, a senior nursing major, has been playing rugby for the past two and a half years and is the team's scrumhalf. Lindsay Brown//Assistant Photo Editor

On a typical Monday evening, where most students struggle to cope with the idea of starting a new week, one group of ladies is giving the phrase “hits like a girl” a painful new connotation.

The UM Club Women’s Rugby team practices on Monday and Wednesday evenings at the IM fields, running and taking hits to prepare for competition.  They currently have about 20 active members and are the only full contact women’s club sport on campus.

There are several different ways that rugby can be played, but traditionally it is played in teams of 15 and incorporates elements of both football and soccer. Although not as popular in the U.S. as it is abroad, new teams are slowly forming at high schools and colleges nationwide.

“Florida is a great place to be if you are a women’s rugby player,” said Michelle Horevitz, current president of the club.  “There’s some good variety in play between universities like FAU and USF, city clubs and even schools like Jupiter High School that have great programs.”

The club is still relatively young, this being only its third year as an official club at UM licensed under the Florida Rugby Union. Still, this group of girls are as close as any other organization on campus.

Megan Flynn, a captain on the squad, says that rugby is unlike any other sport she has participated in. She also says that due to the sport being so team-oriented, all 15 players need to be working together on the same level.

“The team isn’t just about practicing a few times a week; we try and do things outside of rugby,” Flynn said. “We are definitely more of a family than a team.”

Horevitz compared the women’s rugby team to one big sorority.  After every game, the hosting team holds a social where, after an afternoon of yelling, hitting and feeling emotions on the field, the players all become acquainted with one another and build bonds.

Due to the club’s youth and the fact that rugby is not very well-known in the U.S., there are students who may not realize that the club exists or who simply do not know how to play the game.

“Virtually every girl that comes to a rugby club in college probably has close to zero knowledge of the game,” said Elizabeth Schlaerth, coach for the women’s rugby team. “When in life are women encouraged to play a contact sport?”

However, Schlaerth and the team say this should not discourage those who are interested from joining.

“I only went to two practices before my first game and knew nothing,” said Amy Alexander, a regular member of the team. “There is no reason to worry because we will teach you and show you that it’s a lot of fun.”

Ernesto Suarez may be contacted at esuarez@themiamihurricane.com

Quick facts about Rugby

4 The ball may only be passed laterally or backwards

4 A player may kick the ball forward at any time

4 Field is 110 yards long and 75 yards wide

4 Play is continuous like soccer

Practice

4 Where: the IM fields behind Hecht and Stanford

4 When: Mon. 6- 8 p.m., Wed. 6:30-8:30 p.m.

4 Contact: Michelle Horevitz mhorevitz@me.com for more information

Ernesto Suarez

Sports Editor

3 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Women’s Rugby hits hard and plays harder”

1. Jim Nariel says:

Good to see the ladies involved in the sport – good read

2. Rikki-Lee Robinson says:

I was a part of this team in 2007/2008. They are an amazing bunch of girls and have learned alot about the game over the past years. I hope that people go out there and give it a go. It’s alot of fun.

3. Mary Ellen Schlaerth says:

The coach is my daughter from Rochester,NY. Beth is very proud of all the girls and the effort they give and the strong bond they have. I had the opportunity to watch them play a game in Tampa a few weeks ago and they are just starting to grow as a team. Nice bunch of girls!!

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...