Staff Editorial: The spring break myth

We are the MTV generation. Though most parents would rather their children choose Discovery Channel’s “Shark Week” over MTV’s “Spring Break,” back in the day that idealized portrayal of a week-long hiatus from school was the wildest time you could watch from your couch.

Spring break was a star-studded event on MTV. In 1998, Boys II Men gave a live performance, and the next year featured Busta Rhymes and 98 Degrees.

Here at UM, we live so close to South Beach that potentially any week could be an MTV- like break full of half-naked beach bodies and celebrities.

The reality of a true college spring break, however, comes nowhere close to the fantasy MTV sells so many kids each year. Spring break plans revolve around school. Any shenanigans must be scheduled around those five projects you still have to finish up from midterms. Undoubtedly, many of us will have to leave the partying to the snow birds and spend our one free week this semester catching up on required reading.

Another popular option for many is a quiet spring break with family. Though hanging with your little brother might not seem as cool as the MTV experience, nothing beats family time. There’s no better way to save money than filling up on mom’s meatloaf instead of $12 drinks.

So next week when you’re not surrounded by the wet T-shirt contests and beer bongs you always imagined would fill your spring break, don’t fret. The insane college experience you hoped for is not as typical as you might think. Taking a few days just to relax and catch up on all that sleep you missed during midterms could be just the break you needed.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

The Hurricanes have become part of college football’s national conversation, and the more wins they ...

Kicker Michael Badgley will soon become the University of Miami’s all-time field goal leader. In the ...

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...