Staff Editorial: The spring break myth

We are the MTV generation. Though most parents would rather their children choose Discovery Channel’s “Shark Week” over MTV’s “Spring Break,” back in the day that idealized portrayal of a week-long hiatus from school was the wildest time you could watch from your couch.

Spring break was a star-studded event on MTV. In 1998, Boys II Men gave a live performance, and the next year featured Busta Rhymes and 98 Degrees.

Here at UM, we live so close to South Beach that potentially any week could be an MTV- like break full of half-naked beach bodies and celebrities.

The reality of a true college spring break, however, comes nowhere close to the fantasy MTV sells so many kids each year. Spring break plans revolve around school. Any shenanigans must be scheduled around those five projects you still have to finish up from midterms. Undoubtedly, many of us will have to leave the partying to the snow birds and spend our one free week this semester catching up on required reading.

Another popular option for many is a quiet spring break with family. Though hanging with your little brother might not seem as cool as the MTV experience, nothing beats family time. There’s no better way to save money than filling up on mom’s meatloaf instead of $12 drinks.

So next week when you’re not surrounded by the wet T-shirt contests and beer bongs you always imagined would fill your spring break, don’t fret. The insane college experience you hoped for is not as typical as you might think. Taking a few days just to relax and catch up on all that sleep you missed during midterms could be just the break you needed.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

The University of Miami celebrated on Thursday night with an NFL Draft first-round pick for the thir ...

When Al Golden recruited David Njoku to the University of Miami in 2014 the Cedar Grove, N.J. native ...

The night after FIU gave away a game to the University of Miami with a ninth-inning passed ball that ...

Redshirt freshman quarterback Jack Allison left the University of Miami football program on Tuesday. ...

Closer Frankie Bartow stared into the Panthers’ dugout immediately after fanning the final batter of ...

UM marks Holocaust Remembrance Day with a reading of names and recollections of a survivor. ...

A recent paper argues that not only have researchers just scratched the surface of analyzing the Ama ...

The period of the first 100 days in office is a telling gauge for a president's full term in th ...

UM students, staff and faculty join the worldwide march to end men’s violence against women. ...

Greek Week at the University of Miami is committed to raising money and awareness for United Cerebra ...

Check out some of the best photos from the Miami women's tennis team's 4-0 victory against ...

Images from @CanesMensTennis match against Duke. ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team will make its ninth appearance in the ACC Champions ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's tennis team defeated No. 12-seed Boston College, 4-0, Friday af ...

The University of Miami track and field team closed out the 2017 outdoor track and field regular sea ...