V's Take

Dear V: I have long lips…

My boyfriend told me that I have “long lips,” and he wasn’t talking about the lips on my face. What is the normal length of inner labia?

Sincerely,

Lippy

Dear Lippy,

First of all, don’t let anyone (including your boyfriend) compare your body parts to others. He should know girls can be self-conscious, especially about their private areas. But if you must know, this is something that can vary just as much as any other body part.
In some women, the inner lips are completely enclosed by the outer lips. In other women, the inner lips (labia minora) are larger than the outside lips. Many pornographic images have been retouched, causing a lot of men to expect a certain look below the belt, but you shouldn’t be ashamed of your body. Advertising may try to convince women that they are larger than the norm, but it’s really something that comes in a wide range of sizes. The size of your lips doesn’t affect anything about your sexual experience, they may just look different and that’s all.
If you’re really curious, you can try visiting a genitourinary medicine clinic. These clinics deal with a variety of sexual and genital issues, and they see more labia a day than pretty much anyone else. They can take a look down there and let you know if anything is abnormal, but most likely they’ll tell you you’re perfectly fine and that everyone is different. So embrace your body!

Hope this helps,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

RJ McIntosh grew up loving the University of Miami. So did Mark Walton. After all, both are from Sou ...

They have made their lists and checked them (at least) twice. And now, the final NFL draft boards fr ...

Remember Trent Harris, the Miami Hurricanes' sack leader everyone respected and raved about, th ...

The Hurricanes wrapped up spring with a big, as in 6-5 and 290 pounds, surprise on Saturday. Four-st ...

Spring ended Saturday for the Miami Hurricanes, with hundreds of UM football alumni and family membe ...

University of Miami graduates will hear from a group of extraordinary leaders during this year’s com ...

Cross-curricular performances by Frost School of Music students and faculty increase community aware ...

High-tech space helmet technology, a lifelike infant simulator and 3D printing are featured at the U ...

The Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science and NOAA have worked together for more than ...

The Energy and Conservation Organization was recognized with the 2018 Roberta “Bosey” Fulbright Foot ...

Hurricanes will compete in Austin Regional May 7-9. ...

The Hurricanes fell behind in the middle innings and could not recover Wednesday, dropping a midweek ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will seek its second postseason win in as many years ...

The University of Miami baseball team looks to close out a five-game homestand on a high note Wed., ...

The Miami women's tennis team moved up two places to No. 15 in this week's Oracle/ITA rank ...