“Alice in Wonderland” dominated by Depp

ALICE IN WONDERLAND

It is no great surprise that “Alice in Wonderland,” Tim Burton’s latest film, features regular actor Johnny Depp to an almost obsessive degree. Though intended to be fiercely independent and headstrong, the character of Alice (played by Mia Wasikowska) is treated more as a cipher, becoming secondary in the plot. It may be Alice’s name in the title, but this is entirely the Mad Hatter’s story.

To some degree, this choice works. Depp is certainly a strong enough actor to carry a film of this magnitude. At the same time, it’s slightly disappointing that Burton chose to make Alice a secondary figure in the film. The film, set traditionally in Victorian England, could have made Alice an intensely progressive character, but all Burton does to establish her character is make her speak of odd visions she’s been having. This is no fault of Wasikowsa as an actress, but rather a frustrating misstep on the part of Burton and Linda Woolverton as director and screenwriter.

Beyond the slightly odd, but not unexpected, focus, on the Mad Hatter, “Alice in Wonderland” features a stunning roster of British acting talent with one glaringly bad performance in particular.

Anne Hathaway, as the beatific White Queen, is surprisingly bad. Hathaway’s queen is all grandiose gestures and overacting. Luckily, she’s surrounded by actors like Helena Bonham Carter (the Red Queen), the inimitable Frances de la Tour (Aunt Imogen) and, if only in voice, Stephen Fry, Michael Sheen, Alan Rickman, Timothy Spall and Imelda Staunton.

This is a typical Burton film in that it is not wholly faithful to the original novel by Lewis Carroll. Although it takes on a much darker tone, it is still entertaining. There isn’t a ton of suspense- does anyone doubt that Alice will save Wonderland? It is, however, a testament to Burton’s talent as a director that he can manage to make a story as well-known as “Alice in Wonderland” feel both familiar and brand new.

Rating: 2.5/4 stars

Starring: Johnny Depp, Mia Wasikowska, Anne Hathaway, Helena Bonham Carter, Frances de la Tour

Directed by: Tim Burton

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...