Healthy Cane column: You’ve got Legs, Use Them!

So you walk into the gym, shoot a couple glances over at the peanut gallery on the treadmills and then b-line for the bench.

It’s Monday! “International chest day” and the beginning of a grueling week of upper-body destruction only your fellow gym buddies would understand. Don’t get me wrong, unfortunately this was me in a prior life (well, maybe just a couple years ago), but ignorance is bliss.Many men who lift weights will give you excuses as to why their routines stay above the belt and never working their legs: “I get too sore,” “not enough time” and “legs are for girls.”

All of these excuses (minus the last one) are acceptable in isolated circumstances, but the benefits will be worth the sweat, soreness and embarrassment.Excuse yourself no more because, believe it or not, exercising your legs will actually make your upper body gains more significant.

Our lower halves contain much more muscle than our arms, chest and back- or should at least. This means our legs are capable of moving much heavier loads, burning more calories and stimulating the release of more stress hormones like epinephrine and, your favorite, HGH.These hormones will help with protein synthesis for muscle growth, affecting the whole body.

People forget that we are designed to perform dynamic compound movements. With our anatomy, the squat, lunge and deadlift are much more beneficial for daily movement patterns than, let’s say, an isolated bicep curl. So throw a day of legs into your weekly routine and watch yourself grow like a Chia Pet on Rogaine.

Jeremy Albelda is a senior exercise physiology major and a personal trainer. E-mail health questions to him at jalbelda@themiamihurricane.com.

Jeremy Albelda

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...