Greek step show an extravaganza for all

The Greeks took over the University of Miami’s Gusman Concert Hall last Saturday night, February 27, for their annual “Greek Extravaganza Step-Show.” Five fraternities and sororities participated from neighboring universities including Florida International University, Florida State University and the University of Miami. All brought their step, dance and creative skills to the stage as they competed for the first place prize of $1,000.

Presented by the University of Miami’s National Pan-Hellenic Council, the “Greek Extravaganza” featured step performances from the Gentlemen of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity Inc., Omega Psi Phi Fraternity Inc., Phi Beta Sigma Fraternity Inc. and as well as the Ladies of Delta Sigma Theta Sorority Inc. and Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority Inc. Among the participants were UM’s very own african dance team, who performed during intermission in reflection of the closing of Black Awareness Month.

Hosted by well-known, local comedian Benji Brown, tickets for the step show sold for $15 in advance and $20 at the door. The event, which featured a first, second and third place trophy prize, became a fierce battle as each performance proved to be as clean and creative as the last.

From the Omega Psi Phi fraternity’s crowd-pleasing Nintendo Super Mario themed game to the Alphas’ army crusade against their opposing fraternities, the gentlemen brought their “A-games” in hopes of taking home a victory.

Unfortunately for those two fraternities, the royal blue men of Phi Beta Sigma took the win in their synchronized, clear-cut step and dance moves; following with the Alphas in second place and the Omegas in third.

For the ladies, Sigma Gamma Rho Sorority took the grand prize as they swept the panel away with their “school girl games” centered step performance, spiced up with jump ropes, canes and good old-fashioned humor.

Though some were shocked, confused and outright disappointed with the final results, the audience seemed rather content with the overall event. University of Miami Alpha Phi Alpha Alumni and annual Greek Extravaganza performer Cordaro Davis agreed that there were many mixed feelings about the 2010 step-show, but was still very optimistic about the progression of the show and the unity of the Greeks.

“I really expected it to be more teams stepping in show and the audience to be bigger than it was, but overall it was a good show,” Davis said.  “I always try to come back even though all the alumni seem to go their separate ways… As far as the African-American community at UM…with these events and functions…it’s our duty to strive for the best and nothing less, so that we can be a more unstoppable and unified voice on campus.”

Jamie Stephens

Contributing EDGE Writer

Juwan Dowels vividly remembers his first winter on the Syracuse University campus. Like the other 11 ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...

The University of Miami men's basketball team will begin the season as No. 12 in the USA TODAY ...