Clearing up housing concerns

Frustrations and confusion will undoubtedly abound Tuesday afternoon when administrators and students gather to discuss grievances regarding on-campus housing.

The forum, which will occur Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the Pearson Residential College classrooms, will be an opportunity for annoyed students to voice their concerns over recent housing issues.

Student Government President Lionel Moise is expected to be in attendance at the forum.

“[At the forum] you’ll get a clear-cut answer on what happens now if you didn’t get opted in for housing,” Moise said. “You’ll learn what it means if you did get opted into housing. It’ll help to clear up any miscommunication and any other questions students may have about the issue.”

Jim Smart, director of the department of residence halls, and Gilbert Arias, assistant vice president for student affairs, will also be in attendance.

“The goal is to work in conjunction with SG to further help students understand the process and waiting list,” Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane. “Again, I do believe we will be able to accommodate those students who wish to live on campus in the fall, recognizing that we do have some areas like the University Village which will have higher demand.”

The recent housing rift first began when Smart released an e-mail statement to the university community about next semester’s housing availability. He was not available over the weekend to comment on this article.

If You Go:

What: Housing Forum

When: Tuesday, 5 p.m.

Where: Pearson Classrooms

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Athlon Sports released its projections for the 2018 college football season Monday. The predictions ...

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

No. 7 seed Hurricanes staged a late comeback to win their opening game at the 2018 ACC Championship, ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA National Player to Watch hon ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano will face Arkansas' Osca ...

The bracket for the NCAA Singles Championship is set and Miami sophomore Estela Perez-Somarriba will ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...