Clearing up housing concerns

Frustrations and confusion will undoubtedly abound Tuesday afternoon when administrators and students gather to discuss grievances regarding on-campus housing.

The forum, which will occur Tuesday at 5 p.m. in the Pearson Residential College classrooms, will be an opportunity for annoyed students to voice their concerns over recent housing issues.

Student Government President Lionel Moise is expected to be in attendance at the forum.

“[At the forum] you’ll get a clear-cut answer on what happens now if you didn’t get opted in for housing,” Moise said. “You’ll learn what it means if you did get opted into housing. It’ll help to clear up any miscommunication and any other questions students may have about the issue.”

Jim Smart, director of the department of residence halls, and Gilbert Arias, assistant vice president for student affairs, will also be in attendance.

“The goal is to work in conjunction with SG to further help students understand the process and waiting list,” Vice President for Student Affairs Pat Whitely said in an e-mail to The Miami Hurricane. “Again, I do believe we will be able to accommodate those students who wish to live on campus in the fall, recognizing that we do have some areas like the University Village which will have higher demand.”

The recent housing rift first began when Smart released an e-mail statement to the university community about next semester’s housing availability. He was not available over the weekend to comment on this article.

If You Go:

What: Housing Forum

When: Tuesday, 5 p.m.

Where: Pearson Classrooms

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team fought valiantly at the Hawkins Indoor Tennis Center, but ...

Hurricanes and Fighting Irish play at 7 p.m. Monday. ...