Carnaval Miami a unique experience

Hosted by the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana, Carnaval Miami is an annual celebration of Latin music, food, art and sports throughout February and March.

The grand finale of festivities takes place Sunday, March 14 on Calle Ocho, a giant party held on the blocks of- yep, you guessed it- eighth street. During the 29 years of the event’s existence, it has attracted more than 30 million visitors from all over the world.

This year, a concert called “8th Street Jam” will be held on one block of Calle Ocho on Sunday.

“[It is designed to be] a unique experience to the up-and-coming generation of young Latinos and non-Latinos living in our community,” said Syliva Vieta, director of promotions for the Kiwanis Club of Little Havana.

8th Street Jam will feature musical performances from local bands, a live art installation of local mural artists, a video gaming area, a guitar jam area sponsored by Gibson, a food court and more.

“I have never been myself, but I have heard that Calle Ocho is a blast and I have been waiting for it to come around this year,” sophomore Kristin Tedford said. “The 8th Street Jam is just another reason to go.”

Other Carnaval festivities include a dominoes tournament, cooking contest, children’s soccer match and golf tournament. The concert will be held from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. is the culmination of Carnaval. Details of times and exact locations of all Carnaval events can be found at carnavalmiami.com.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: Carnaval Miami “8th Street Jam”

WHERE: The northeast corner of 12th Avenue and 8th Street in Little Havana

WHAT: Featured performances with a special appearance by Pitbull

WHEN: Sun., March 14 from 1:30 to 9:30 p.m.

COST: $20 general admission

Kari Scharf may be contacted at kscharf@themiamihurricane.com.

Kari Scharf

2 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Carnaval Miami a unique experience”

The Miami Hurricanes football team hosted the 2017 Football Awards Show at Gusman Hall on the Univer ...