Auction open to students

It may still feel like winter on campus, but the Lowe Art Museum is hoping to bring spring to Coral Gables. Partnering with the University of Miami art and art history departments and Friends of Art of Miami, the Lowe will host the “Spring into Art” auction this Wednesday.

There will be over 200 items at this year’s silent auction, all awaiting a bid. The items range from paintings and photographs, to glass and sculptures. This auction is unique because it allows students as well as local artists to make donations.

“We encourage students to participate and meet artists in the community,” said Tammy Cohen, a representative from the Lowe. “It’s great exposure for them.”

Each student that donates a work of art will receive two free tickets to the event. Donations are still being accepted and the necessary forms are available in the Rainbow Building.

The auction benefits both the Lowe Art Museum and the art department. Funds raised will be distributed proportionally to both organizations based on the amount of art donated.

“The auction is about promoting the arts, not just the Lowe or the art department,” said Lise Drost, chair of the art and art history department.

Tickets are $150 and refreshments will be served.  The evening will also include a raffle for a four-day, three-night trip for two to Mexico City to visit the city’s fine art museums with proceeds from the raffle directly benefitting the Lowe.

IF YOU GO

WHAT: The “Spring into Art” Auction

WHERE: The Lowe Art Museum, located next to Mahoney/Pearson Residential Colleges

WHEN: Wed. from 7 to 9 p.m.

COST: Tickets are $150, but anyone who donates artwork (including students) will receive two free tickets to the event.

Nancy Oben may be contacted at noben@themiamihurricane.com.

Nancy Oben

Contributing Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Auction open to students”