Basketball

Scott shines despite another road loss

Courtesy Will Cooper // The Daily Tar Heel

E

Emotions ran high on North Carolina’s Senior Night and the Miami Hurricanes were simply caught up in the middle of it, with the exception of one budding freshman.

Even a strong second-half comeback by Hurricanes couldn’t stop the Tar Heels’ 2,000 school victory with Miami (18-11, 4-11) falling to North Carolina (16-14, 5-10), 69-62.

But freshman guard Durand Scott was not phased by the history and the powder blue as he collected a career-high 29 points.

For the first time in six seasons, the Hurricanes didn’t win an ACC road game and the Canes have lost for their 10th time in their past 13 games. All of Miami’s losses have come in the ACC this season.

“I felt like we had our chances,” said Haith, whose team shot eight of 34 from three-pointers. “If one of those shots would have gone down, it’s a different game. We had some great looks and they just didn’t go.”

Throughout his freshmen year, Scott has always stepped up to the plate when the Hurricanes took on a top program.

Against Minnesota in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, Scott made clutch baskets tallying 20 points.

Against Duke, Scott scored 19 points and had four assists.  Tuesday night against North Carolina, Scott scored a career-best 29 points, the most points scored by a Hurricane this season.

“Durand was outstanding, and he’s been outstanding,” Haith said. “The future is bright for our program, no question about it. We’ve got some good, young talent, and they’re learning a valuable lesson this year, getting a lot of playing time.”

Scott scored 16 of his points in the second half and finished 11-for-15 from the floor. His 29 points are the second highest scoring effort by a freshman in the ACC this season.

“I came into this game prepared,” Scott said. “I talked to coach, and he asked me if I had hit the wall and I said, ‘No.’ So he said to go full out from here on out. That’s how I’m treating every game like that and we’ll see how we end up.”

But it was hard for Scott to get some help from his teammates. While Scott shot 73 percent from the field, the rest of his teammates were a combined 12-of-51 from the floor.

They also got thrashed on the boards with the Tar Heels collecting 51 rebounds to Miami’s 27.

Miami will host their Senior Day this Saturday against rival Florida State at noon. That game can be heard on 90.5 FM WVUM.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...