Basketball

Scott shines despite another road loss

Courtesy Will Cooper // The Daily Tar Heel

E

Emotions ran high on North Carolina’s Senior Night and the Miami Hurricanes were simply caught up in the middle of it, with the exception of one budding freshman.

Even a strong second-half comeback by Hurricanes couldn’t stop the Tar Heels’ 2,000 school victory with Miami (18-11, 4-11) falling to North Carolina (16-14, 5-10), 69-62.

But freshman guard Durand Scott was not phased by the history and the powder blue as he collected a career-high 29 points.

For the first time in six seasons, the Hurricanes didn’t win an ACC road game and the Canes have lost for their 10th time in their past 13 games. All of Miami’s losses have come in the ACC this season.

“I felt like we had our chances,” said Haith, whose team shot eight of 34 from three-pointers. “If one of those shots would have gone down, it’s a different game. We had some great looks and they just didn’t go.”

Throughout his freshmen year, Scott has always stepped up to the plate when the Hurricanes took on a top program.

Against Minnesota in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, Scott made clutch baskets tallying 20 points.

Against Duke, Scott scored 19 points and had four assists.  Tuesday night against North Carolina, Scott scored a career-best 29 points, the most points scored by a Hurricane this season.

“Durand was outstanding, and he’s been outstanding,” Haith said. “The future is bright for our program, no question about it. We’ve got some good, young talent, and they’re learning a valuable lesson this year, getting a lot of playing time.”

Scott scored 16 of his points in the second half and finished 11-for-15 from the floor. His 29 points are the second highest scoring effort by a freshman in the ACC this season.

“I came into this game prepared,” Scott said. “I talked to coach, and he asked me if I had hit the wall and I said, ‘No.’ So he said to go full out from here on out. That’s how I’m treating every game like that and we’ll see how we end up.”

But it was hard for Scott to get some help from his teammates. While Scott shot 73 percent from the field, the rest of his teammates were a combined 12-of-51 from the floor.

They also got thrashed on the boards with the Tar Heels collecting 51 rebounds to Miami’s 27.

Miami will host their Senior Day this Saturday against rival Florida State at noon. That game can be heard on 90.5 FM WVUM.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted at lledoux@themiamihurricane.com.

Lelan LeDoux

If defense really does win championships, the University of Miami is in good shape. Despite giving u ...

This is the Miami Hurricanes team that finally solved its long hex in finally winning at Florida Sta ...

1. HURRICANES: No. 3 Canes beat Virginia in home finale: ACC title game, first 10-win season since 2 ...

The No. 2 Miami Hurricanes are kings at keeping their fans in a panicked state — then filling them w ...

CANESFAN SATISFACTION METER: G10: Time again for the latest edition of the Canesfan Satisfaction Met ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Miami survived an early scare to beat Virginia, 44-28, and achieve its first 10-win season since 200 ...

The University of Miami volleyball team produced some late-match magic Friday night to outlast an in ...

The Miami women's basketball team dropped a 67-61 decision to Colorado on Saturday afternoon in ...

The University of Miami diving team finished its trip to the Texas Diving Invite on a high note Satu ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...