Sports Briefs March 1

Baseball:

The 10th-ranked Hurricanes won two of three from Riverdale, New York’s Manhattan College this past weekend.  The Canes first loss of the season came on lackluster pitching from redshirt senior Jason Santana and relievers Daniel Miranda and Iden Nazario. Miami will host a three-game series with the Florida Gators this upcoming weekend.

Basketball:

The men’s team allowed another lead to slip away in the waning minutes this weekend against North Carolina State’s Wolfpack. It will look to rebound in Chapel Hill against a struggling Tar Heel squad that has only mustered four ACC wins a year after being crowned NCAA Champions.

Shenise Johnson was named a mid-season candidate for the Naismith Award, which is given to the best men’s and women’s college basketball players, respectively. After beating the Boston College Eagles at home on Sunday, the Canes set their sights on Wake Forest in the first round of the ACC Tournament on Thursday night in Greensboro, North Carolina.

Tennis:

The 31st-ranked Hurricanes defeated No. 50 UCF this weekend at home behind great play from doubles partners Christian Blocker and David Simon. The Hurricanes will begin ACC play this weekend at home hosting No. 19 Florida State.

Track & Field:

Blacksburg, Va. – Sophomore hurdler Devon Hill broke his own school record, placed first in the ACC Championships and qualified for Nationals this past weekend with a 7.78 in the men’s 60m hurdles, while junior sprinter Ashley Dukes defended Miami’s 2009 win at ACCs with a 7.34 in the women’s 60m dash.  Despite great individual performances, the Hurricanes placed ninth overall.

Information from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at cmcestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...