Refined bbq with a flair

Freshman Anna Mak eats nacho onion rings at Smoke'T which recently opened on US1. Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

When JJ’s American Diner vacated its spot on U.S. 1 this past fall, the police raids and mediocre food that defined the restaurant became a part of Coral Gables and UM history. In its place, the staff at Town Kitchen and Bar, a local Gables favorite, decided to try its hand at barbecue by opening Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap, and the results are both southern and scrumptious.

Smoke’t fuses creativity with southern culture in a menu that boasts intriguing appetizers and an outstanding beer list. Some of the highlights include “Redneck Rolls,” BBQ-themed sushi (beef brisket, smoked catfish, etc.) that comes prepared with dipping sauce (spicy rather than soy) and chopsticks. Onion ring nachos, loaded with pulled pork, melted cheese and jalapenos, are another wild and delicious invention.

While the side dishes and appetizers ooze creativity and flavor, the entrée options are much more standard affairs. Racks of Kansas City-style wet ribs and St. Louis spare ribs highlight the pit barbecue menu and typical options like pulled pork and brisket line the sandwich menu. For those looking to eat healthy, the aptly named “Ruffage” menu has a surprising variety of salads.

While the prices are a bit high, both the service and the quality of food make a trip to Smoke’t well worth it.

Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap

Where: 1450 S. Dixie Hwy.

Lunch: Mon.-Sun.: 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.BBQ

Dinner: Sun.-Tues.: 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Wed.-Sat.: 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m.

Price: Lunch: $10-$20, Dinner: $15-25

Camron Ghorbi may be contacted at cghorbi@themiamihurricane.com.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Refined bbq with a flair”

University of Miami running back Mark Walton was rolling — until he got rolled on, or stepped on. Wa ...

University of Miami safety Sheldrick Redwine got to wear the gaudy (but beautiful to Canes and their ...

For those concerned about the apparent on-field struggles of graduate transfer Dee Delaney, an All-A ...

This week’s Top 25 college-affiliated football polls, released Sunday afternoon, agreed on how to ta ...

A few quick thoughts (or second thoughts) after 14th-ranked UM’s 52-30 win against Toledo on Saturda ...

UM students fan out across South Florida to help local neighborhoods rebound from the impacts of Hur ...

Classes resume on the Coral Gables campus after the removal of 4 million pounds of landscape debris. ...

Students living in residential housing are returning to campus and classes with renewed resolve. ...

UM’s student-run ’Canes Emergency Response Team puts their training into action to assist with recov ...

UM students recount how they rode out the storm called Hurricane Irma. ...

Walton rushes for career-high 204 yards and Rosier has four touchdowns in Miami's comeback vict ...

Junior golfer Dewi Weber highlighted second round action for the University of Miami women's go ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming team wrapped up its opening weekend of competition at the All-Florida ...

The University of Miami volleyball team outlasted Virginia, 3-2, in Atlantic Coast Conference action ...

Sunday, Sinead Lohan became the first person in Miami women's tennis history to win the singles ...