Refined bbq with a flair

Freshman Anna Mak eats nacho onion rings at Smoke'T which recently opened on US1. Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

When JJ’s American Diner vacated its spot on U.S. 1 this past fall, the police raids and mediocre food that defined the restaurant became a part of Coral Gables and UM history. In its place, the staff at Town Kitchen and Bar, a local Gables favorite, decided to try its hand at barbecue by opening Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap, and the results are both southern and scrumptious.

Smoke’t fuses creativity with southern culture in a menu that boasts intriguing appetizers and an outstanding beer list. Some of the highlights include “Redneck Rolls,” BBQ-themed sushi (beef brisket, smoked catfish, etc.) that comes prepared with dipping sauce (spicy rather than soy) and chopsticks. Onion ring nachos, loaded with pulled pork, melted cheese and jalapenos, are another wild and delicious invention.

While the side dishes and appetizers ooze creativity and flavor, the entrée options are much more standard affairs. Racks of Kansas City-style wet ribs and St. Louis spare ribs highlight the pit barbecue menu and typical options like pulled pork and brisket line the sandwich menu. For those looking to eat healthy, the aptly named “Ruffage” menu has a surprising variety of salads.

While the prices are a bit high, both the service and the quality of food make a trip to Smoke’t well worth it.

Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap

Where: 1450 S. Dixie Hwy.

Lunch: Mon.-Sun.: 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.BBQ

Dinner: Sun.-Tues.: 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Wed.-Sat.: 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m.

Price: Lunch: $10-$20, Dinner: $15-25

Camron Ghorbi may be contacted at cghorbi@themiamihurricane.com.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Refined bbq with a flair”

Could the once forlorn University of Miami be closer than some think to extending that national-reco ...

Most of the University of Miami student body is on Summer break; but the Hurricanes football team is ...

University of Miami football great Cortez Kennedy, a Pro Football Hall of Famer remembered for his w ...

The Hurricanes are still alive in their quest to make it to the NCAA Division I Baseball Tournament. ...

When Edgar Michelangeli stepped up to bat on Saturday, there was pressure. So much pressure. There w ...

A new study reveals that mindfulness training, but not relaxation training, benefits college athlete ...

Victor Oquendo, BSC ’09, is following in his parents’ footsteps. ...

The Rosenstiel School’s final lecture of the 2017 Sea Secrets series focused on using science diplom ...

Researchers believe they have found a new way to monitor the intensity and location of hurricanes fr ...

The University of Miami welcomed nearly 3,800 new graduates into the UM alumni family during six cer ...

No. 40 Estela Perez-Somarriba dominated the final two sets to register a 1-6, 6-1, 6-1 triumph over ...

The Miami women's tennis team concluded the 2017 season ranked No. 25 in the country, as announ ...

The Hurricanes will be in action at the 2017 NCAA East Preliminary, scheduled for May 25-27 at the U ...

Joe Gomez drove in the winning run after Andrew Cabezas pitched 6.1 no-hit innings of relief. ...

University of Miami women's golf sophomore Dewi Weber was selected as a Second Team All-America ...