Refined bbq with a flair

Freshman Anna Mak eats nacho onion rings at Smoke'T which recently opened on US1. Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

When JJ’s American Diner vacated its spot on U.S. 1 this past fall, the police raids and mediocre food that defined the restaurant became a part of Coral Gables and UM history. In its place, the staff at Town Kitchen and Bar, a local Gables favorite, decided to try its hand at barbecue by opening Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap, and the results are both southern and scrumptious.

Smoke’t fuses creativity with southern culture in a menu that boasts intriguing appetizers and an outstanding beer list. Some of the highlights include “Redneck Rolls,” BBQ-themed sushi (beef brisket, smoked catfish, etc.) that comes prepared with dipping sauce (spicy rather than soy) and chopsticks. Onion ring nachos, loaded with pulled pork, melted cheese and jalapenos, are another wild and delicious invention.

While the side dishes and appetizers ooze creativity and flavor, the entrée options are much more standard affairs. Racks of Kansas City-style wet ribs and St. Louis spare ribs highlight the pit barbecue menu and typical options like pulled pork and brisket line the sandwich menu. For those looking to eat healthy, the aptly named “Ruffage” menu has a surprising variety of salads.

While the prices are a bit high, both the service and the quality of food make a trip to Smoke’t well worth it.

Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap

Where: 1450 S. Dixie Hwy.

Lunch: Mon.-Sun.: 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.BBQ

Dinner: Sun.-Tues.: 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Wed.-Sat.: 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m.

Price: Lunch: $10-$20, Dinner: $15-25

Camron Ghorbi may be contacted at cghorbi@themiamihurricane.com.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Refined bbq with a flair”

Hurricanes fans, get out your pencils, calendars and a list of your favorite hotels. The Atlantic Co ...

Three former Miami Hurricanes — defensive lineman Chad Thomas, offensive lineman KC McDermott and de ...

In all technicality, the Orange Bowl is a postseason, neutral-site bowl game that includes a top tea ...

When it comes to recruiting, the scariest sentence for Miami Hurricanes fans is this one: Nesta Silv ...

This time, there was no miracle Miami win over Duke. The fifth-ranked Blue Devils rallied from a 13- ...

The Beaux Arts Festival of Art debuts at a new site with picture-perfect weather and a panoply of or ...

Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.’s vision for a “Beloved Community” has inspired a number of University of ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team took down Syracuse to record their 750th all-ti ...

Following a promising performance during the fall portion of the 2017-18 campaign, the University of ...

The University of Miami track and field program travels to Texas this week to compete at the Texas T ...

The Miami women's tennis team will begin its 2018 spring season this weekend on its home court. ...

The University of Miami released its 2018 football schedule Wednesday, highlighted by a nationally t ...