Refined bbq with a flair

Freshman Anna Mak eats nacho onion rings at Smoke'T which recently opened on US1. Cayla Nimmo // The Miami Hurricane

When JJ’s American Diner vacated its spot on U.S. 1 this past fall, the police raids and mediocre food that defined the restaurant became a part of Coral Gables and UM history. In its place, the staff at Town Kitchen and Bar, a local Gables favorite, decided to try its hand at barbecue by opening Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap, and the results are both southern and scrumptious.

Smoke’t fuses creativity with southern culture in a menu that boasts intriguing appetizers and an outstanding beer list. Some of the highlights include “Redneck Rolls,” BBQ-themed sushi (beef brisket, smoked catfish, etc.) that comes prepared with dipping sauce (spicy rather than soy) and chopsticks. Onion ring nachos, loaded with pulled pork, melted cheese and jalapenos, are another wild and delicious invention.

While the side dishes and appetizers ooze creativity and flavor, the entrée options are much more standard affairs. Racks of Kansas City-style wet ribs and St. Louis spare ribs highlight the pit barbecue menu and typical options like pulled pork and brisket line the sandwich menu. For those looking to eat healthy, the aptly named “Ruffage” menu has a surprising variety of salads.

While the prices are a bit high, both the service and the quality of food make a trip to Smoke’t well worth it.

Smoke’t Southern Kitchen and Tap

Where: 1450 S. Dixie Hwy.

Lunch: Mon.-Sun.: 11:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m.BBQ

Dinner: Sun.-Tues.: 5:30 p.m.-10 p.m., Wed.-Sat.: 5:30 p.m.-11 p.m.

Price: Lunch: $10-$20, Dinner: $15-25

Camron Ghorbi may be contacted at cghorbi@themiamihurricane.com.

Camron Ghorbi

Staff EDGE Writer

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “Refined bbq with a flair”

It was midweek when Miami leading receiver Braxton Berrios wistfully spoke of his four years as a Hu ...

Eli Rosier will be back where he belongs Saturday, where he feels most at home. He will be at a foot ...

The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball team remained undefeated with a 90-59 victory o ...

They remain undefeated — but still untested. The 11th-ranked University of Miami men’s basketball te ...

It has inspired T-shirts and a Migos-style hype song. Soon, fans will have a beer brewed in honor of ...

The Finker-Frenkel Legacy Foundation gift will establish the Business Plan Competition Endowed Fund. ...

C. David Naylor, a UM Presidential Scholar and public health policy expert, provided insight into he ...

A cohort of five religious leaders from Miami, including a rabbi and imam from the University of Mia ...

Hollywood actress and star of the hit BET series Being Mary Jane gets real about gender, race and co ...

The annual development agreement meeting is a time for the city and University to share information ...

Here are three matchups to watch in Saturday's Senior Day game between the No. 3 Canes and Virg ...

Miami's seniors will play their final home game at Hard Rock Stadium when the Canes face Virgin ...

Six Hurricanes were in double figures as the Hurricanes improved to 3-0 on the season. ...

The University of Miami diving team enjoyed a strong first day of competition at the University of T ...

For the fourth time in eight months, Kristina Fisher of the Miami soccer team is taking part in a U. ...