Reducing the risks of spring break

Beginning Monday, Safe Spring Break Week by Pier 21, the William Sandler Center for Alcohol and Other Drug Education, kicks off at the UC Rock with food from Shorty’s barbecue, an automatic chair message, mechanical surf ride and Miami Vice “mocktails”  for participants.

“Safe Spring Break Week provides students with greater awareness about potential [and]common danger that could arise during their spring breaks, such as binge drinking, drug use, unsafe sex, identity theft, etc.,” said junior Meredith Reilly, a student involved with Pier 21.

The week will include an 8 p.m. tailgate for the University of North Carolina basketball game on Tuesday, as well as a Friday pool party to raise awareness on how to make decisions over spring break that minimize risk.

According to a 2006 poll of 644 participants by the American Medical Assocation, 83 percent of college-aged women reported increased drinking levels over spring break, and 74 percent stated their sexual activity levels increased over their vacation period.

“Girls especially have to be careful in all these exotic locations because American college girls certainly stick out,” Reilly said. “They become a target for so many hazards, especially when others can easily observe that they’ve been drinking.”

The last scheduled event of Safe Spring Break Week is a showing of “The Hangover” next Sunday at 7 p.m. on the UC Green, co-sponsored by Canes Night Live.

“The main message of [Safe Spring Break] is to remind students that safety and health don’t have to be compromised to ensure a fun break,” said sophomore Patrick Nealon, a student also involved with Pier 21. “The advice I would give to people would be to come out to the events- Pier 21 is putting on a lot of really cool activities.”

Schedule of events

Monday – Shorty’s BBQ and free chair massage at the Rock

Tuesday – UM vs. UNC tailgate, 7 p.m. at the BUC

Wednesday – Guest speaker Erica Upshaw, 7p.m. at LC 130

Thursday – Pier 21 Open house and Foam party at the Hecht-Stanford bridge, 10 p.m. to 1 a.m.

Friday – Pool party, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

One day after the University of Miami announced that starting cornerback Malek Young would undergo “ ...

It’s one thing for a player who’s projected to go in the first two rounds of the NFL Draft to turn p ...

Miami coach Jim Larranaga and his staff spent recent practices pushing his players to whip the ball ...

The University of Miami confirmed in a written release Sunday that starting cornerback Malek Young s ...

Thirty high school English teachers from Brazil are spending six weeks at UM in a new skill-building ...

The No. 25/23 Miami men's basketball team shot a sizzling 57.6 percent from the field in pullin ...

The University of Miami women's basketball team picked up its third straight win in eight days ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-2) closed out its opening weekend with a 5-2 loss ...

With the help of dominating victories and dramatic comebacks, the No. 19 Miami women's tennis t ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (1-1) returns to action on Sunday, as it travels to N ...