Healthy Cane Column: Stay fit, lower the deficit

I’m sorry to have to do this, but after watching the news this past week, I would like to say a few things about the current state of health care in our country.

Regardless of your stance on the impending reform, there is no argument (no argument that I’ll accept, that is) as to why physical activity is not one of the most important factors in disease prevention, curbing national obesity and overall wellness.

In an era where there is positive research, tangible proof and countless opportunities to do it, exercise is vital. We know that even moderate physical activity has the ability to significantly decrease the risk for health care cost vampires like heart disease, diabetes and morbid obesity. An emphasis on preventative health care should be a focus of these reforms.

One person paid to educate hundreds on physical activity is going to cost significantly less then the gaggle of doctors, nurses and pharmaceutical companies involved in the treatment of avoidable ailments. If you want to help your country and yourself, you will get out of your chair right after you read this and go for a jog.

Wellness is the solution to exuberant health care costs.

Jeremy Albelda is a senior exercise physiology major and a personal trainer. E-mail health questions to him at jalbelda@themiamihurricane.com.

Jeremy Albelda

The attorneys for University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga expect indictments to be ...

Few could have imagined this scenario coming into Saturday’s University of Miami football game at ho ...

Alex Cora’s success hasn’t surprised Miami Hurricanes baseball coach Jim Morris. Cora, according to ...

The Miami soccer team will conclude its 2017 home slate Sunday against Notre Dame and recognize its ...

The Miami soccer team registered a 3-0 victory over Pittsburgh Thursday night at Cobb Stadium behind ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team will open play Friday at the ITA Southeast Region ...

Here are three matchups to watch Saturday as the Hurricanes take on the Syracuse Orange at Hard Rock ...