Fanfarlo a band deserving of more acclaim

“And if we’re kicking up a fuss, it’s only ’cause we must/let the world begin to understand/begin to understand,” wails vocalist Simon Balthazar on”Luna,” a track from indie band Fanfarlo’s debut album “Reservoir.”  The orchestral album was released in the Fall of 2009 to little critical and popular attention. In an attempt to garner interest in their music, Fanfarlo allowed fans to download their album online for $1.

The tactic worked surprisingly well and brought the London-based band to the attention of bloggers and critics. Reviews of “Reservoir” have generally been positive. Most critics have pointed out the pervasive influence of Canadian indie rockers “Arcade Fire” whose songs share an affinity for dramatic and grandiose themes. Both bands also feature an incredibly large amount of obscure instruments, like the glockenspiel, in their orchestrations.

Although Fanfarlo may wear their influences a tad too proudly, they have a unique take on post-rock emotional fervor. Rather than bursting with emotion like “Arcade Fire,” they show a great deal of restraint. This restraint leads to a powerful tension that rivals even that of their Canadian progenitors.

Fanfarlo has recently announced a tour of the United States that will span over 15 states. Perhaps this tour will bring them to greater popular acclaim as fans begin to understand their music.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Release Date: Sept. 29, 2009

Producer: Peter Katis

Label: Atlantic

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...