Fanfarlo a band deserving of more acclaim

“And if we’re kicking up a fuss, it’s only ’cause we must/let the world begin to understand/begin to understand,” wails vocalist Simon Balthazar on”Luna,” a track from indie band Fanfarlo’s debut album “Reservoir.”  The orchestral album was released in the Fall of 2009 to little critical and popular attention. In an attempt to garner interest in their music, Fanfarlo allowed fans to download their album online for $1.

The tactic worked surprisingly well and brought the London-based band to the attention of bloggers and critics. Reviews of “Reservoir” have generally been positive. Most critics have pointed out the pervasive influence of Canadian indie rockers “Arcade Fire” whose songs share an affinity for dramatic and grandiose themes. Both bands also feature an incredibly large amount of obscure instruments, like the glockenspiel, in their orchestrations.

Although Fanfarlo may wear their influences a tad too proudly, they have a unique take on post-rock emotional fervor. Rather than bursting with emotion like “Arcade Fire,” they show a great deal of restraint. This restraint leads to a powerful tension that rivals even that of their Canadian progenitors.

Fanfarlo has recently announced a tour of the United States that will span over 15 states. Perhaps this tour will bring them to greater popular acclaim as fans begin to understand their music.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Release Date: Sept. 29, 2009

Producer: Peter Katis

Label: Atlantic

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...