Classic Film: The Stranger

Photo: Wikipedia.org

Despite having directed multiple critically acclaimed films, Orson Welles only had one box office success, a post-war film noir called The Stranger. The film, released in 1946, follows Mr. Wilson, an agent of the United Nations War Crimes Commission (played by Edward G. Robinson), and his attempt to capture a Nazi fugitive named Franz Kindler (played by Orson Welles). Kindler has assumed a new identity as Charles Rankin, a university professor in Connecticut, and married a young woman named Mary Longstreet (played by Loretta Young). As the film progresses, Longstreet begins to realize that the man she married might not be who he claims to be.

The Stranger succeeds on many levels. Orson Welles’ acting is truly remarkable, he’s convincing as both a college professor and an escaped Nazi. As the director, Welles incorporates many of the highly stylized shots he’s best known for, including the exquisitely edited climax to the film. He also does a great job of depicting how this small idyllic town slowly falls into chaos upon the revelation that there is a Nazi in their midst. Although it’s not as good as Citizen Kane, it’s an excellent film by one of the greatest filmmakers in history.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 Stars

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

Here is some impressive news for the University of Miami football program: All but one of the remain ...

Lonnie Walker IV stood out on and off the court at the NBA Draft Combine, which ended on Sunday in C ...

University of Miami incoming prep star Will Mallory, the other half of the soon-to-be No. 1 freshman ...

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

Sinead Lohan and Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team earned ITA Southeast R ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry and freshman Freddy Zamora were among those recognized by the At ...

Senior Jeb Bargfeldt was recognized as ACC Pitcher of the Week following a dominating performance ag ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

Although 17th-year head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews has made Sweet 16 appearances commonplace the jour ...