Writing to save lives

Service does not always require backbreaking work or lots of money. Instead, students can turn to one student organization to write letters for a notable cause.
Up ‘Til Dawn, an organization with over 300 chapters at various universities and colleges, helps facilitate letter-writing campaigns to raise money for St. Jude’s Children’s Research Hospital, a pediatric treatment and research facility in Memphis.
“Because [the hospital]never asks the patient’s family to pay for treatment, housing or even food while their child is at the hospital, our efforts are essential to its operations” said Kelly Riley, the outgoing teams chairperson of the UM chapter of Up ‘Til Dawn.
The organization’s major event in the fall is when students are invited to fill out pre-written letters to raise money for the hospital.
Riley has been surprised by the outcome she has witnessed during the event.
“The letter-writing party is an extremely easy event, and yet its impact is immense,” she said. “Just one donation from a family member can help save the life of a child who has barely had a chance at life.”
According to Sara Klaben, the outgoing executive director of the organization, over 5,000 letters were mailed during their last letter-writing campaign.
“To run a hospital each day it costs 1.5 million dollars,” she said.
At the upcoming men’s basketball game against North Carolina State, they will present a $20,000 check during half time to a representative from St. Jude’s, as well as a patient from the hospital.

Applications for the executive board are due March 5. To request an application, email uptildawnum@gmail.com

Ramon Galiana may be contacted at rgaliana@themiamihurricane.com.

Ramon Galiana

News Editor

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...

For the second straight game, Miami's starting pitcher looked in dominant form through the firs ...

The University of Miami track and field team will compete against fellow conference members at the 2 ...