Healthy Cane Column: How to get that workout going..

I want to begin exercising but I just can’t get myself to start…

So you are coming to the “dreaded” realization this whole working out thing might be important. You have seen some of your best friends who weren’t in that great of shape dedicate a few hours a week to the gym, a slightly healthier diet and BAM! They look good, feel good and you want that too…

Step one is to get yourself some sneakers and work-out attire. You don’t want to be like that 80-year-old man at the gym who’s wearing his boat shoes and khakis with his Polo still tucked in. Being comfortable is important because when you first start out, you will be looking for any excuse.

Step two is to ask any of your friends who go to the gym to go with them to learn a few exercises and how the cardio equipment works. Your best bet will be to start out on the treadmill or elliptical machines and get your aerobic capacity up so you have some stamina to perform more complex movements. Slowly start adding intervals of increased intensity (jogging if on the treadmill) for 30-60 seconds to help progress your fitness level. Just remember, you didn’t learn how to walk in a day, so take your time and be patient.

The golden rule to any exercise routine is going to be a progressive overload, meaning you need to slowly add on to what you’re doing. If you stick to your guns and tell yourself it’s time to change, then you can do this. So get excited, and get moving!

Jeremy Albelda is a senior exercise physiology major and a personal trainer. E-mail health questions to him at jalbelda@themiamihurricane.com.

Jeremy Albelda

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...