Staff Editorial: Next year should be the Best U Ever Had

As a university, we face a multitude of important issues. Parking is still a challenge, freshmen transportation is lacking and several other issues plague our student body.
For student government, the challenge is having goals that alleviate the problems we face. Platform ideas must be agreeable with administration, and cost is always an issue. The difficulty is increased for members of the student government executive board because they only have a one-year term to accomplish all of their promises.
For these reasons, The Miami Hurricane endorses the “Best U Ever Had” ticket for the 2010 campaign season. From buying a new flagpole for the ROTC program to 24-hour practice rooms for music students during finals, their ideas are practical and reach out to a variety of students.
Many of their goals could be achieved easily and be immediately beneficial to students. A GPA calculator on myUM and a gender-neutral housing option will be relatively free for the university.
They also have broader initiatives that appeal to the entire student body. A class roster with everyone’s contact information will allow for more communication to occur between students facilitating group projects and studying.
This ticket has members on it that get tasks done. According to Aaron Esman,  they were involved with the committee that brought back the Ibis Ride. All of their goals can be achieved in their one term. The next president who may not be as excited about their predecessor’s goals will not have to finish their tasks.
The development of transfer assistants for new students is also appealing. It coincides with the university’s “First Year Experience” push and is a great way to make this group get more involved on campus and help them develop friendships.
Life off-campus would also be enhanced if their platforms are achieved. Revamping the Off-Campus Housing Fair to include more companies that rent furniture makes sense at UM, since we have a diverse student body from around the world. Not having to move a couch back home after only two years of use would help avoid back pain thanks to these increased options.
This ticket represents the best leadership for the university for the upcoming year, and we believe they will most advance our student body.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...