“Edge of Darkness” a disappointment

After having helmed the reboot of the James Bond franchise, the only direction the quality of director Martin Campbell’s work could really go is down. With Casino Royale being such a success, it’s not surprising that Edge of Darkness is disappointing. A promising premise- a cop investigating the death of his activist daughter- is turned into another generic action film.

The issue with Edge of Darkness is not that it’s a horrible film on its own, but the fact remains that it could have been as complex and thrilling as The Constant Gardener. Instead, it’s simply a vehicle for Mel Gibson to attempt to recapture his former action-film glory before his infamous DUI.

The best part of the film is The Constant Gardener’s Danny Huston, an actor who has perfected the art of being both slimy and sympathetic simultaneously. The film’s tension is barely palpable, a product of a manipulative score and lackluster plot points. Edge of Darkness could have been a much better film than what it wound up being: Mystic River on steroids. Just because a film has the director of James Bond and the writer of The Departed does not mean the end result will be particularly good.

Rating: 1.5/4 stars

Starring: Mel Gibson, Danny Huston

Directed By: Martin Campbell

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...