Disparity in wages is not just

Many opponents of the living wage campaign state that such an idea is unjust. They believe people should earn whatever they can, and that the subsidization of a living wage through progressive taxation is wrong.
Is such a view indeed the just position?
The ‘injustice’ of a living wage would, of course, not need to occur if it weren’t for the prior injustice of disparities of wealth. However, are the concentrations of wealth indeed unjust in the first place?
Calling in the army to protect wealth (as the robber barons did) or allowing the rich to control opinion and government policy in order to protect wealth can only be considered just if their gain of wealth is just in the first place.
Unfortunately, this is rarely true. Luck and early advantages (such as training or talent) are usually the reasons for gain of wealth within one generation. Are these reasons just?
If one person takes their savings and buys one plot of land and another buys a second plot of land and then oil is discovered on one and the other turns to desert, then is the resulting disparity of wealth just? Did they earn it? Surely not.
Indeed, if a person inherits a billion dollars and never works a day in their life, but their fortune accrues interest from the labor of others, is that income just? Did the person earn their wealth or their income? I think not.
However, is it possible in our system to earn a million dollars by simply working harder than everyone else? Of course not.
If my parents pay for Harvard Law School and I work 60 hours a week and become a millionaire, a disadvantaged person who works 100 hours a week will never earn what I earn, no matter how hard they work. Therefore it is clearly not a difference in effort that produces the disparity, and so it cannot be that any such person earns their huge concentration of wealth.
In other words, a rich man can claim to be against a living wage (paid for by progressive taxation or an inheritance tax) but they simply cannot claim that their reason is due to its injustice.
Justice is clearly not a factor in their world view since, if it were, wages would be based on effort or sacrifice. They would not allow such wealth to accrue to themselves in the first place, in which case a legally-required living wage would not be necessary.

Adam Bird-Ridnell is a sophomore majoring in history and philosophy. He may be contacted at abirdridnell@themiamihurricane.com.

Adam Bird-Ridnell

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...