Baseball

Miami defeats Rutgers 12-1 on Opening Night

Photo by Steven Stuts//Asst. Photo Editor

The old Eric Erickson was back.

The redshirt junior left-hander set the tone in the first inning when he struck out the side and propelled Miami to a 12-1 victory over the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Friday night at Alex Rodirguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Erickson retired the first 10 batters he faced and ended up picking up the win throwing 5 2/3 innings while striking out six and giving up an unearned run.

Sophomore third baseman Harold Martinez hit two home runs, both towering shots to left field. He finished with four RBI.

Miami plays Rutgers Saturday night at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...