Baseball

Miami defeats Rutgers 12-1 on Opening Night

Photo by Steven Stuts//Asst. Photo Editor

The old Eric Erickson was back.

The redshirt junior left-hander set the tone in the first inning when he struck out the side and propelled Miami to a 12-1 victory over the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Friday night at Alex Rodirguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Erickson retired the first 10 batters he faced and ended up picking up the win throwing 5 2/3 innings while striking out six and giving up an unearned run.

Sophomore third baseman Harold Martinez hit two home runs, both towering shots to left field. He finished with four RBI.

Miami plays Rutgers Saturday night at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

When UM coach Mark Richt summoned quarterback Malik Rosier into his office last year, a few months a ...

Quarterback Malik Rosier of the No. 8-ranked Miami Hurricanes maintains a solid third place in what ...

University of Miami head coach Mark Richt was selected to the 20-member Paul "Bear" Bryant ...

University of Miami sophomore Bruce Brown Jr. was among 21 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

Head coach Katie Meier and senior forward/center Erykah Davenport will represent Miami Thursday at t ...