Baseball

Miami defeats Rutgers 12-1 on Opening Night

Photo by Steven Stuts//Asst. Photo Editor

The old Eric Erickson was back.

The redshirt junior left-hander set the tone in the first inning when he struck out the side and propelled Miami to a 12-1 victory over the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Friday night at Alex Rodirguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Erickson retired the first 10 batters he faced and ended up picking up the win throwing 5 2/3 innings while striking out six and giving up an unearned run.

Sophomore third baseman Harold Martinez hit two home runs, both towering shots to left field. He finished with four RBI.

Miami plays Rutgers Saturday night at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Part four of a five-part series on UM’s defense with the start of fall camp a month away: Cornerback ...

Part three of a five-part series with the Canes' view of every player on defense: Some insight ...

University of Miami head football coach Mark Richt was among the 20 coaches selected to the preseaso ...

Miami opens the Wooden Legacy against La Salle on Thanksgiving Day in Fullerton, Calif. ...