Baseball

Miami defeats Rutgers 12-1 on Opening Night

Photo by Steven Stuts//Asst. Photo Editor

The old Eric Erickson was back.

The redshirt junior left-hander set the tone in the first inning when he struck out the side and propelled Miami to a 12-1 victory over the Rutgers Scarlet Knights Friday night at Alex Rodirguez Park at Mark Light Field.

Erickson retired the first 10 batters he faced and ended up picking up the win throwing 5 2/3 innings while striking out six and giving up an unearned run.

Sophomore third baseman Harold Martinez hit two home runs, both towering shots to left field. He finished with four RBI.

Miami plays Rutgers Saturday night at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

Daniela Deu was drawn to both architecture and urbanism, believes architecture can change communitie ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

University of Miami diver Briadam Herrera collected a 1-meter national title at the Greensboro Aquat ...

Two Hurricanes receive AVCA All-America recognition for first time since 2014. ...

Coming off its first top-25 victory of the year, the Miami women's basketball team will play it ...