A Serious Man

The Coen brothers’ latest film was released on DVD a week and a half ago. A Serious Man was released to largely positive reviews last year. As a big fan of the Coen brothers, I was rather disappointed that a film Rotten Tomatoes called “what might be [the Coen brothers’]most mature – if not their best – film to date” only received limited release. I was unable to see the film until just recently, when I ordered it through Netflix.

A Serious Man is best described as the Coen brothers’ attempt to retell the biblical story of Job in a modern context (actually the film takes place in 1960s, but that’s pretty modern compared to the Old Testament). Larry Gopnik, a meek Jewish college professor, is beset with various crises that seem to come out of the blue. His brother is staying at his house. One of his student’s is attempting to bribe him for a passing grade. And his wife wants a divorce because she’s started dating a family friend. The sad part is that things only get worse for Larry.

The Coen brothers’ latest feature is a masterpiece and one of the best films of 2009. The film not only makes us laugh, but also think about grand metaphysical questions. We laugh at the horrible events that befall Larry Gopnik and his seemingly hopeless attempts at figuring out why God would allow these things to happen to him. We are also forced, like Larry Gopnik, to ponder these questions and discover the meaning of life ourselves. A Serious Man is the best kind of comedy: it’s both hilarious and insightful.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

View photos from the Syracuse at Miam ibasketball game on Saturday, Feb. 17, 2018, in Coral Gables. ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga took the opportunity after Saturday’s 62-55 loss ...

A bunch of Miami Hurricane youngsters — and one former Gator-turned-Cane — made the University of Mi ...

Arkansas State University followed through with its threat. ASU on Friday afternoon filed a lawsuit ...

A UM appeals committee has modified the athletic department’s rules restricting departing quarterbac ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

A panel of University of Miami faculty talked about the impacts of climate change during a meeting o ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

CORAL GABLES, Fla. – No. 24 Miami raced out to an early lead but could not finish off a weekend swee ...

Freshman first baseman Alex Toral recorded his first home run as a Hurricane, and No. 24 Miami held ...

The Miami Hurricanes swimming & diving team saved its best for last, finishing off the ACC Swimm ...

The No. 25 University of Miami women's golf team heads to New Orleans this Sunday to compete in ...