A Serious Man

The Coen brothers’ latest film was released on DVD a week and a half ago. A Serious Man was released to largely positive reviews last year. As a big fan of the Coen brothers, I was rather disappointed that a film Rotten Tomatoes called “what might be [the Coen brothers’]most mature – if not their best – film to date” only received limited release. I was unable to see the film until just recently, when I ordered it through Netflix.

A Serious Man is best described as the Coen brothers’ attempt to retell the biblical story of Job in a modern context (actually the film takes place in 1960s, but that’s pretty modern compared to the Old Testament). Larry Gopnik, a meek Jewish college professor, is beset with various crises that seem to come out of the blue. His brother is staying at his house. One of his student’s is attempting to bribe him for a passing grade. And his wife wants a divorce because she’s started dating a family friend. The sad part is that things only get worse for Larry.

The Coen brothers’ latest feature is a masterpiece and one of the best films of 2009. The film not only makes us laugh, but also think about grand metaphysical questions. We laugh at the horrible events that befall Larry Gopnik and his seemingly hopeless attempts at figuring out why God would allow these things to happen to him. We are also forced, like Larry Gopnik, to ponder these questions and discover the meaning of life ourselves. A Serious Man is the best kind of comedy: it’s both hilarious and insightful.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...

NBA Draft will be held Thursday evening in Brooklyn. ...

Haley Templeton is set to travel to Detroit, Mich., on Friday to train and compete with the U.S. Wom ...

First-year Miami head soccer coach Sarah Barnes released Wednesday the team's schedule for the ...