A Serious Man

The Coen brothers’ latest film was released on DVD a week and a half ago. A Serious Man was released to largely positive reviews last year. As a big fan of the Coen brothers, I was rather disappointed that a film Rotten Tomatoes called “what might be [the Coen brothers’]most mature – if not their best – film to date” only received limited release. I was unable to see the film until just recently, when I ordered it through Netflix.

A Serious Man is best described as the Coen brothers’ attempt to retell the biblical story of Job in a modern context (actually the film takes place in 1960s, but that’s pretty modern compared to the Old Testament). Larry Gopnik, a meek Jewish college professor, is beset with various crises that seem to come out of the blue. His brother is staying at his house. One of his student’s is attempting to bribe him for a passing grade. And his wife wants a divorce because she’s started dating a family friend. The sad part is that things only get worse for Larry.

The Coen brothers’ latest feature is a masterpiece and one of the best films of 2009. The film not only makes us laugh, but also think about grand metaphysical questions. We laugh at the horrible events that befall Larry Gopnik and his seemingly hopeless attempts at figuring out why God would allow these things to happen to him. We are also forced, like Larry Gopnik, to ponder these questions and discover the meaning of life ourselves. A Serious Man is the best kind of comedy: it’s both hilarious and insightful.

Thomas Prieto

Contributing Columnist

ONE COMMENT ON THIS POST To “A Serious Man”

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...