“Shutter Island” thrills and entertains

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese are back again, this time in the highly-anticipated thriller Shutter Island.

DiCaprio plays Teddy Daniels, a U.S. Federal Marshal, who travels to the isolated Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of a female patient from the mental hospital for the criminally insane located on the island. He takes this particular case in hopes of sorting out a personal connection with one of the hospital’s patients. However, Teddy and his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) soon find out there is a lot more going on inside the hospital than they had expected.

Without a doubt Scorsese brings thrills and chills, yet the film is hindered by poor dialogue and badly-timed humor. While DiCaprio does not deliver his best, the acting is strong throughout, particularly Sir Ben Kingsley, who could well garner an Oscar nomination for his role as the ominous hospital doctor.

What stands out is the fast-paced plot that keeps the film so entertaining. Even at over two hours, Scorsese keeps the film from becoming dull and drawn out. Instead, you will both jump out of your seats in fright and sink deep into them in horror while Teddy Daniels encounters gruesome death on the island. With love, mystery, action and horror, the film is reminiscent of a Hitchcock film.

While it falls short in some areas, one thing is for sure, Shutter Island will leave you shaken and disturbed as Scorsese keeps you guessing the whole way through.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Marc Ruddalo, Sir Ben Kingsley

Directed By: Martin Scorsese

Sanders McNair

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...