“Shutter Island” thrills and entertains

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese are back again, this time in the highly-anticipated thriller Shutter Island.

DiCaprio plays Teddy Daniels, a U.S. Federal Marshal, who travels to the isolated Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of a female patient from the mental hospital for the criminally insane located on the island. He takes this particular case in hopes of sorting out a personal connection with one of the hospital’s patients. However, Teddy and his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) soon find out there is a lot more going on inside the hospital than they had expected.

Without a doubt Scorsese brings thrills and chills, yet the film is hindered by poor dialogue and badly-timed humor. While DiCaprio does not deliver his best, the acting is strong throughout, particularly Sir Ben Kingsley, who could well garner an Oscar nomination for his role as the ominous hospital doctor.

What stands out is the fast-paced plot that keeps the film so entertaining. Even at over two hours, Scorsese keeps the film from becoming dull and drawn out. Instead, you will both jump out of your seats in fright and sink deep into them in horror while Teddy Daniels encounters gruesome death on the island. With love, mystery, action and horror, the film is reminiscent of a Hitchcock film.

While it falls short in some areas, one thing is for sure, Shutter Island will leave you shaken and disturbed as Scorsese keeps you guessing the whole way through.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Marc Ruddalo, Sir Ben Kingsley

Directed By: Martin Scorsese

Sanders McNair

Former pro wrestler and promoter The Tennessee Stud Ron Fuller was interviewed by Ryan K. Boman of T ...

The University of Miami has its future quarterback. Jarren Williams, a consensus four-star, dual-thr ...

Through its new Leadership UMiami program, the Butler Center for Service and Leadership is empowerin ...

A Biomedical Engineering Major and campus leader, Sterlie Achille involved herself in many activitie ...