“Shutter Island” thrills and entertains

Leonardo DiCaprio and Martin Scorsese are back again, this time in the highly-anticipated thriller Shutter Island.

DiCaprio plays Teddy Daniels, a U.S. Federal Marshal, who travels to the isolated Shutter Island to investigate the disappearance of a female patient from the mental hospital for the criminally insane located on the island. He takes this particular case in hopes of sorting out a personal connection with one of the hospital’s patients. However, Teddy and his partner Chuck (Mark Ruffalo) soon find out there is a lot more going on inside the hospital than they had expected.

Without a doubt Scorsese brings thrills and chills, yet the film is hindered by poor dialogue and badly-timed humor. While DiCaprio does not deliver his best, the acting is strong throughout, particularly Sir Ben Kingsley, who could well garner an Oscar nomination for his role as the ominous hospital doctor.

What stands out is the fast-paced plot that keeps the film so entertaining. Even at over two hours, Scorsese keeps the film from becoming dull and drawn out. Instead, you will both jump out of your seats in fright and sink deep into them in horror while Teddy Daniels encounters gruesome death on the island. With love, mystery, action and horror, the film is reminiscent of a Hitchcock film.

While it falls short in some areas, one thing is for sure, Shutter Island will leave you shaken and disturbed as Scorsese keeps you guessing the whole way through.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Starring: Leonardo DiCaprio, Marc Ruddalo, Sir Ben Kingsley

Directed By: Martin Scorsese

Sanders McNair

The University of Miami has a starting quarterback. On Tuesday, 11 days before the 2017 home opener, ...

Mark Richt, pleased and seemingly confident about his selection of redshirt junior Malik Rosier as t ...

Once known as ‘Quarterback U,’ the Miami Hurricanes have a spotty record of producing top signal cal ...

View photos from the Miami Hurricanes' football practice on Tues., Aug. 22, 2017 … Click to Con ...

Duke Johnson, the all-time leading rusher in Miami Hurricanes history, was one of a dozen members of ...

Students and faculty gathered at the Rock to catch a glimpse of the solar eclipse. ...

The University of Miami has embarked on an ambitious 10-year housing plan that will transform the st ...