Baseball

Newly renovated high-definition scoreboard highly attractive

The Hurricanes added a new high-definition scoreboard for the 2010 season. The new scoreboard includes a new LED display. Steven Stuts//Asst. Photo Editor

The renovations at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field never end, and that’s a good thing.

Last year, the baseball team used four million dollars to build a new locker room, video room and press box. In the fall, they added 2,000 extra bleacher seats that will be permanent throughout the season. This month, Miami added a brand new high-definition scoreboard with improved speakers to the already stellar field.

“The new additions are outstanding,” head coach Jim Morris said. “I like it a lot. It adds to the atmosphere of the ball park and I think everyone will enjoy it.”

The high-definition scoreboard is in the same location as the old one, hanging over the left field fence. But this one has replay capabilities.

The batter will have his head shot on the screen with his statistics when he is up at the plate.

“It’s unreal,” senior second baseman Scott Lawson said. “It’s top of the line and very exciting. It’s amazing here at Miami; every year we get something new from the locker room, and now the scoreboard.”

The new high-definition scoreboard was unveiled last Saturday during the alumni game. It cost approximately $400,000.

The project for the new scoreboard began early last year.

“Last year during Kirby Hocutt’s first weekend as athletic director, we spoke about possibly getting new renovations,” Morris said. “Right away he wanted to improve the speaker system and scoreboard and a year later we improved each.”

Miami has always been known for its storied baseball program but now its facilities are elite and should definitely help with recruiting.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

The question came straight at Ahmmon Richards, like a tight spiral. And this time, he didn’t hesitat ...

1. DOLPHINS: Miami seeks revenge vs. hated, Stinkin' Jets: Dolphins host Jets Sunday with Miami ...

Notes and observations on UM’s 27-19 win against Syracuse: • A UM source said Mark Richt seemed more ...

View photos from the Syracuse at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 21, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Miami G ...

The Miami women's tennis team split its eight matches on its second day of competition at the I ...

Syracuse visits Miami on Saturday, October 21st at Hard Rock Stadium. ...