Baseball

Newly renovated high-definition scoreboard highly attractive

The Hurricanes added a new high-definition scoreboard for the 2010 season. The new scoreboard includes a new LED display. Steven Stuts//Asst. Photo Editor

The renovations at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field never end, and that’s a good thing.

Last year, the baseball team used four million dollars to build a new locker room, video room and press box. In the fall, they added 2,000 extra bleacher seats that will be permanent throughout the season. This month, Miami added a brand new high-definition scoreboard with improved speakers to the already stellar field.

“The new additions are outstanding,” head coach Jim Morris said. “I like it a lot. It adds to the atmosphere of the ball park and I think everyone will enjoy it.”

The high-definition scoreboard is in the same location as the old one, hanging over the left field fence. But this one has replay capabilities.

The batter will have his head shot on the screen with his statistics when he is up at the plate.

“It’s unreal,” senior second baseman Scott Lawson said. “It’s top of the line and very exciting. It’s amazing here at Miami; every year we get something new from the locker room, and now the scoreboard.”

The new high-definition scoreboard was unveiled last Saturday during the alumni game. It cost approximately $400,000.

The project for the new scoreboard began early last year.

“Last year during Kirby Hocutt’s first weekend as athletic director, we spoke about possibly getting new renovations,” Morris said. “Right away he wanted to improve the speaker system and scoreboard and a year later we improved each.”

Miami has always been known for its storied baseball program but now its facilities are elite and should definitely help with recruiting.

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com.

Justin Antweil

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...