Letters to the Editor, Opinion

Letter to the editor

The argument in the editorial “Not So Diverse After All” published Feb. 6 stated that joining a Special Interest Housing (SIH) floor restricts students to only one way of thinking, and it is important to be exposed to people who “do not think exactly like them” even if it means toughing out a difficult roommate.

It must be stated that contrary to this claim, SIH provides ample opportunities to experience different viewpoints. Living on a CASTLE floor, for example, are students of diverse ethnicities and political views, connected only by the goal of living a substance-tempered, community-driven lifestyle. SIH communities allow students to choose to live with students who will contribute to their success rather than detract from it.

Going through the pain of living with someone with whom you cannot reason with or relate to leaves one only with the burning resolve to find a roommate who will positively challenge him or her and provide a good friend, even and especially if the roommate has a wide palate of views.

Opportunities to acquire people-management skills are plentiful enough during the college day.

After a full day of enriching classes, will a double major in French and political science really be best off in a dorm with a boozed up partier, just for the sake of experiencing “different ways of thinking?” I say no, especially not when compared with the alternative of sharing a space with an equally driven student.

Though “situations after graduation” undoubtedly will involve people we don’t agree with, as the article correctly pointed out, when last I checked we will have the freedom to choose who to live with, a choice often made in relation to work and lifestyle. SIH communities give students the opportunity to make this choice in college, which is invaluable to the college experience.

John Palowitch is a sophomore majoring in jazz performance and mathematics.

John Palowitch

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

The Canes wrapped up a stormy weekend at the NCAA East Preliminary with their final two qualifiers f ...

Miami native pulls name out of NBA Draft process. ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...