‘IRM’ not a bad effort

Courtesy of Mark Simek

There’s a curious thing about French actresses that gives them the idea that along with their theatrical duties, they were born to sing. From Brigitte Bardot in the ‘60s and ‘70s to Marion Cotillard’s new duet with Franz Ferdinand, there seems to be a sense of entitlement among Gallic dramatists that they are fit to sing even if they’re not technically that good.

IRM, Charlotte Gainsbourg’s newest album, doesn’t particularly dispel that notion, but it’s also not a hideously bad effort. Gainsbourg is actually quite good – not a huge surprise, considering her father is Serge Gainsbourg, but still a welcome one considering it was released in a world that views Lindsay Lohan and Heidi Montag as worthy of CDs. She’s come a long way since her slightly pedophiliac duet with her father, 1984’s “Lemon Incest.”

Gainsbourg is, technically, not the greatest singer in the world, but her breathy, monotone voice is put to good use on IRM, on which Beck is a constant presence.  The album was written after Gainsbourg suffered a life-threatening head injury and the content reflects her state of ennui. On the title track, she sings “Take a picture, what’s inside?/Ghost image in my mind”  in a voice completely devoid of emotion.

The album’s best track is the French-language “Le Chat du Cafe des Artistes.” Gainsbourg is at her best when singing in her native French. Despite her lack of overwhelming vocal prowess, IRM is a beautiful effort with a wide emotional range.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Release Date: Jan. 26, 2010

Label: Because Music/Elektra

Produced By: Beck

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtesy of Mark Simek

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...