Giving the dogs some of her sweet time

Courtesy Tasha Wells, Office of the President

A longtime dog lover, UM President Donna Shalala could not resist when she saw Sweetie’s heart-wrenching story on the internet.

“She had been beaten and abandoned,” Shalala said in a recent interview.

Sweetie, a 6-year-old collie-cocker spaniel-poodle mix, ended up in the dog pound in 2003, where the staff and volunteers quickly took a liking to her. They kept trying to find her a home.

Several months later, along came Shalala, who was looking for another pet after her 14-year-old Portuguese water dog, Cheka, had died.

She recalled the first time she saw Sweetie. When she and a friend went to visit the dog at Friends Forever Rescue, Sweetie jumped up into her friend’s lap. Shalala said at that moment she knew it was the dog for her.

“Sweetie is a street dog, a survivor, scrappy, tough and very smart,” she said. “My kind of dog.”

Now Sweetie often accompanies Shalala to work in the Ashe Building on Saturdays. During the week, the dog stays back at the president’s residence on Old Cutler Road and hangs out with the gardeners.

Shalala’s interest in canines has led her to volunteer with local rescue organizations such as Friends Forever and the Humane Society of Greater Miami, which is hosting the 2010 Purina Walk for the Animals on Saturday morning at Bayfront Park in downtown Miami. The walk will benefit the society’s Adopt-A-Pet program.

As much as she loves dogs, Shalala said in the interview that she does not recommend that students take on the responsibility of having a pet while in college.

Rebecca Zimmer may be contacted at rzimmer@themiamihurricane.com.

Rebecca Zimmer

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

More than a decade after former University of Miami football star Sean Taylor was murdered during a ...

Lonnie Walker excelled on the court during the NBA Combine in Chicago last week. The potential lotte ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

Confident and effective service game propelled University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and fresh ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed back to the NCAA Singles Cham ...

Junior becomes first three-time All-American in program history. ...

For the 16th year in a row, the Miami women's tennis team ended the season ranked in the top 20 ...