A team worth watching

With a loss to the University of Wisconsin in the Champs Sports Bowl, the University of Miami football season did not end the way fans wanted it to, and basketball is currently not headed in the same direction.

Thankfully, UM baseball has been a consistent strong point. Chances are that our baseball team will be visiting Omaha, Neb. at some time in June.

The team has reached the College World Series 11 times since Jim Morris became the coach 16 seasons ago. Season 17 for Jim Morris starts this Friday.

This program has produced first round picks; recently Yonder Alonso and Jemile Weeks were taken seventh and 12th respectively in 2008.

The ability to see a program so steeped in tradition and to see such talented players before they reach the next level is a unique experience.

This year, students have an additional reason to visit the Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. Stands along the park have been completed making the experience even more convenient.

Even if baseball alone is not enough to get you to the park, there are other attractions anyone can enjoy. An Omaha Express shake at the park is delicious no matter what sport you enjoy. Also, you have to love the spirit of the Sugarcanes, the team’s bat girls.

So don’t get depressed during UM’s probable absence from March Madness. Just know you still probably have a tournament to look forward to later in the year. Ours will just occur after the school year is finished as the baseball team battles through Regionals and Super Regionals to get to Omaha.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

University of Miami football coach Mark Richt made it clearer than ever on Wednesday: Come the Sept. ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced the 2018-19 schedule, featuring nine tourn ...