A celebrated rivalry turns 25

Once upon a time, at a University of Miami without SportsFest, there was an annual competition called “Budweiser Super Sports” where students could compete in sports and athletic events for gifts and prizes, among them free beer at the Rat. Student organizations and individuals would register teams and, according to old yearbooks, the event was fairly popular.

Administrators Norm Parsons and Rhonda DuBord decided to make this sports competition a bigger part of student life, and so began the legacy of SportsFest.

When Hecht and Stanford were built in 1968 they were named ‘68 and 960, the former for its construction year and the latter for how many beds it held. In the 1985-86 academic year, the residential colleges changed their names and ‘68 became known as “The Honors Residential College” and 960 known as “The Residential College.” SportsFest was started in the spring of 1986 as a challenge between the two almost identical counterparts. These two teams, over time, would come to be named Stanford and Hecht.

Our own Vice President for Student Affairs, Dr. Patricia Whitely, was a Residence Coordinator in The Residential College (‘68, Stanford) the year SportsFest began. After that year, the program added Eaton as a competitor and then Mahoney and then Pearson to round out a 5-team, school-wide event by the spring of 1989.

Today, there is no bigger student event on the University of Miami’s campus than SportsFest, boasting over 2,300 participants.

“Nobody could have predicted the success of SportsFest, but the residential college system is one of the reasons that it has been so successful,” Whitely said. “It is a great opportunity for students to build community.”

Parsons and DuBord are largely responsible for the success that the event has had over the years and they are both still a part of the team that organizes the event today.

“Participation is essential; with this scoring system, any residential college can win,” Parsons said.

Tom Soria is the assistant director of intramurals and special events and the logistical mastermind behind the competition. Organizing an event with so many activities, participants and referees may seem like a mountain of a task, but according to Tom it’s “like seeing a masterpiece at work, almost like a symphony.”

Calvin Cestari may be contacted at ccestari@themiamihurricane.com.

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

Most NBA mock drafts had Miami Hurricanes guard Davon Reed going late in the second round of Thursda ...

University of Miami shooting guard Davon Reed will gather with friends and family in Ewing, New Jers ...

University of Miami great and Pro Football Hall of Famer Warren Sapp announced on Tuesday that he pl ...

The University of Miami continues to make a hard push for five-star point guard Immanuel Quickley of ...

The University of Miami’s 2018 football recruiting class, already ranked the best in the country by ...

UM Student Affairs Advocacy Coordinator Heather Stevens has been awarded the William Leftwich Award ...

President Julio Frenk makes the case for collaboration at eMerge Americas. ...

UM College of Engineering Dean Jean-Pierre Bardet and alumnus Rony Abovitz share the stage in a disc ...

UM showcases its technology initiatives and projects at eMerge Americas ...

The University of Miami Center for Computational Science and the Fastrack Institute sign an agreemen ...

Four weeks, four potential stars, only at The U. ...

Redshirt senior forward Kamari Murphy of the University of Miami men's basketball team will pla ...

Senior guard Davon Reed of the University of Miami men's basketball team was selected No. 32 ov ...

Lexi Castellano of the University of Miami soccer team spent almost four weeks this summer in Vietna ...

Miami Hurricanes baseball legend Pat Burrell will be inducted into the Omaha College Baseball Hall o ...