Baseball

Hurricanes announce opening weekend pitching rotation

Redshirt Junior LHP Eric Erickson will pitch Friday night. He will throw in a real game for the first time since June 2008. Steven Stuts // Asst. Photo Editor

On Tuesday afternoon head coach Jim Morris unveiled the opening weekend rotation in an exclusive interview with The Miami Hurricane.

Firday night red shirt junior left-hander Eric Erickson will pitch for the first time since June of 2008. He missed all of last year due to Tommy John surgery. Erickson is 19-5 all time in his Hurricanes career.

Saturday night junior left-hander Chris Hernandez will be on the bump. Hernandez had a stellar freshman campaign but struggled at times during the 2009 season. He finished last year 7-5 with a 4.76 ERA. Hernandez’s best pitch is his cutter but he has been working a lot on his changeup this offseason.

Sunday afternoon is a bit of a surprise. Sixth year senior Jason Santana will get the nod. Santana has been plagued with injuries throughout his Hurricane tenure but has proven he can be a winner when healthy. He has a career record of 14-2. Other candidates who were in line for that spot were freshman Eric Whaley, Steven Ewing and Jerad Grundy.

Opening night is Friday at 7 p.m. The game can be heard on 90.5 FM or wvum.org

Justin Antweil may be contacted at jantweil@themiamihurricane.com

Justin Antweil

Miami director of track and field/cross country Amy Deem's incredible career earned her a place ...

Check out the latest edition of Hurricane Magazine. ...

Members from the Miami track and field team spent the afternoon at the Boys and Girls Club in Miami ...

UM administrators, coaches and alums took part in yesterday's allCanes Holiday Shopping Spree f ...