Music Minute: February’s “Let’s get it on” playlist

In a recent interview with Parade magazine, Ashton Kutcher proclaimed his hatred for the day formally dedicated to affairs of the heart. “I think every day should be a day of romance,” he said. He continued to say that Valentine’s Day should be the one day of hate allowed for the world, but still, he was on the right track- not everyone is in love by the time Feb. 14 comes around. If we spread the love in our everyday lives, there’s no way anyone could feel left out. And look on the bright side, even if the only card you got this year was from your mother just remember- somebody loves you.

“First Love” by The Maccabees: If there was ever a song to bring you back to the first time you felt butterflies, this is it. The band begs the question of whether it’s better to be alone in love than just plain alone. For a song with so few words, it says it all.

“Shining Star (Pornocult Club Mix)” by Get-Far: The great thing about repetition in music is that if it’s good, you’ll want to hear it again and again. Buttery vocals paired with a cutting techno beat make this a song you can fall in love with, if only for five minutes.

“P***y Money Weed” by Lil Wayne: How could you not be romanced by lyrics as sentimental as these? “I do me, I say Hey Miss Chung Lee/I like to see your booty/Roll like sushi/I’m tryin’ to dip my celery up in her bleu cheese.” Inane or not, his rhyme will leave you drooling

“Looking Your Big Brown Eyes” by Bob Marley: As flouncy and vibrant as the Rasta himself, this song will make you sing. While lesser known than most of his politically-charged anthems, this gem in the name of love and sex is Marley at his best.

“ABC” by The Jackson 5: Who said there’s no room for the classics? The untainted enthusiasm in young Michael Jackson’s voice can make you believe that finding love in a college atmosphere could be as easy as, well, 1-2-3.

Nicole Adlman may be contacted at nadlman@themiamihurricane.com