Reality Bites

Stock up on laundry detergent and stay out of the tanning booths, because the cast of “Jersey Shore” is coming to South Beach for their second season.

Before going to South Beach to try to be Snooki’s match made in heaven or to try to see the Situation’s situation, however, please consider why these people are famous.

The appeal of the show is the huge personality of the characters, like the Situation’s ego and extreme objectification of women. It leaves the audience asking themselves if these people are for real, and doubting everything they say.

As celebrity magazines shoot out new articles addressing these characters’ tendencies, and their love of the gym, doing laundry and tanning, especially the Situation and Pauly D, they are creating a buzz over unworthy subjects.

Think about all the people that are not getting the attention they deserve. Locally at the University of Miami there is ground-breaking research being done by professors that do not get nearly as much attention as Ronnie did when he got in a fight on the boardwalk. This is a misplacement of values in our society.

The audience has a responsibility. They need to step back and put the show into context. Before crowds head out to see Snooki make club appearances, remember that in the larger scheme of life she is relativity unimportant. There are much bigger problems that deserve this attention.

There can be some solace taken in the career-ending track other reality stars have taken. Remember Tila Tequila? She fell off the face of the planet after her second season of “A Shot at Love,” where she tried to choose between a selection of males or females to win her heart.

These shows are not completely void of cultural value. They give us something to talk about, and let us marvel at the absurdity of  some people’s lives. At the very least, these shows are entertaining, and can pass time. Just keep them in perspective.

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...

No. 24 Miami got off to a dream start but could not hold on against No. 1 Florida Friday night, fall ...

The Hurricanes were momentarily slowed down by the first rain delay of the season, but held the Coug ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...