Corinne Bailey Rae still lives up to hype

Corinne Bailey Rae first hit the scene with her 2006 self-titled debut. An endlessly sunny and vaguely introspective album, it spawned a few hits and confirmed her reputation as England’s low-maintenance, mellow answer to the Amy Winehouses and Lily Allens of the music world.

Her follow-up album, “The Sea,” touches on a far more precarious subject: the suspected overdose death of her husband, saxophonist Jason Rae. The album is mercifully free of any histrionics – Rae’s voice rarely rises above a whisper- and takes a meditative look at her grieving process and her forced maturation.

The album, true to form, is a mix of bluesy funk, rock and placid jazz. “The Sea” has no obvious hits like her debut album, but “Paris Nights/New York Mornings” comes the closest in terms of sound and tone. Other songs evoke everyone from Al Green to Earth, Wind and Fire, but the sound is inarguably all her own.

Its appeal isn’t as wide as the first album, but “The Sea” is evidence of a truly talented singer-songwriter. It just goes to show that just because Rae is down, it doesn’t mean she’s out.

Sarah B. Pilchick may be contacted at sbpilchick@themiamihurricane.com.

Rating: 3/4 stars

Release Date: Jan. 26

Producer: Steve Brown and Steve Chrisanthou

Label: Capitol Records

Sarah B. Pilchick

Senior EDGE Writer

He is considered among the finest defensive line coaches in the nation. And now, according to a writ ...

This is the time of year when every win or loss can make a difference in a team’s NCAA Tournament ch ...

Mike Brey doesn't pay much attention to the NBA draft stock of opposing players, but the Notre ...

He used to be a Gator. But junior Danny Reyes is plenty happy to be back home and playing for the Un ...

It’s a Wednesday morning, and one by one, the familiar Hurricane faces make their way into the non-d ...

At the University of Miami, the professor has the last word on whether students can use their laptop ...

Members of the University of Miami first response teams remind us of resources available and what to ...

Mexican activist, poet and novelist Javier Sicilia deplored the violence stemming from the “drug war ...

From the North Pole to the South Pole and everywhere in between, the art of UM alumnus Xavier Cortad ...

Walker IV scored 19, Izundu scored 14 and the Canes picked up a crucial win in South Bend. ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami women's golf team moved into a sixth-place tie on day two ...

After a standout first weekend at the plate with the No. 24 Hurricanes, Miami's Danny Reyes was ...

Miami women's basketball notched an impressive 77-62 triumph Sunday at Virginia, giving head co ...

Former University of Miami track and field standouts Shakima Wimbley and Tiffany Okieme were among t ...