A new way of looking at Pisa

From February 12th to 26th, the University of Miami School of Architecture's Jorge M. Perez Center Architecture Gallery will be hosting the Pisa AD 1064 exhibit. The show is a collaboration between the School of architecture and the Opera della Pimaziale Pisana board and runs from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Lindsay Brown // The Miami Hurricane

By Jessica Delgado // Contributing News Writer

Have you ever thought about seeing the Leaning Tower of Pisa?  Well, there is no need to go all the way to Italy. You can view it on campus- for free.
The schools of Architecture and Engineering are giving UM students and the public the opportunity to view detailed, small-scale replicas of the tower and other famous Pisa buildings, as well as valuable sculptures. The exhibit, Pisa AD 1064- The Square of Miracles, is coming to Coral Gables from its sister city in the Tuscany region of Italy. The exhibit officially opened Saturday, and will continue through Friday, Feb. 26, at the Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center.
Also known as Cathedral Square, it is home to the buildings that made Pisa one of the key centers for medieval art in the world. The square is dominated by four religious structures: the Duomo, the largest Romanesque church in Tuscany; the Baptistery, the largest in Italy; Camposanto, a monumental cemetery that was the burial place of the upper class for centuries; and the Tower of Pisa, a freestanding bell tower behind cathedral that is considered one of the Seven Wonders of the World because it tilts about four degrees to the side.
“I think this is a wonderful opportunity for students to understand the monuments of Pisa, and to see how these buildings are being preserved and presented,” said Denis Hector, associate dean of the School of Architecture. “Our students will be studying the preservation aspects. What is interesting is that architects and engineers from the international commission will be there sharing their work.”
The idea for the exhibit came from the Opera della Primaziale Pisana, the Italian organization responsible for preserving and promoting the buildings. Last September, Opera officials came to Miami to look at possible sites to house the exhibit. They chose the grounds of the School of Architecture, in part because of some similarities to Cathedral Square in Pisa.
UM students say they are excited about the exhibit coming to campus.
“I am very proud of the people that are contributing to make this exhibit happen,” said architecture student William Adams. “I believe this type of event is the one we need in our School of Architecture.”
Carolyn White, manager of public relations and special projects at the School of Architecture agrees.
“It is probably one of the biggest and probably the most prestigious exhibitions we can have in the School of Architecture,” she said.

IF YOU GO
WHAT: Pisa AD 1064 The Square of Miracles: A  Millennium of Culture
WHEN: Open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. seven days a week through Friday, Feb. 26
WHERE: Jorge M. Perez Architecture Center, 1215 Dickinson Dr.
HOW MUCH: Free

Jessica Delgado may be contacted at jdelgado@themiamihurricane.com.

View photos as Miami Hurricanes Coach Jim Morris ends 41-year career on Saturday, May 19, 2018, at M ...

The sullen, charcoal sky opened with a vengeance Saturday afternoon at Mark Light Field in Coral Gab ...

Hurricanes football aficionados: How does another College GameDay at the University of Miami campus ...

Get out your calendars once again, UM football fans. The Atlantic Coast Conference has announced the ...

Lonnie Walker IV, so eager to begin his professional basketball career that he left the University o ...

Over his more than two decades at the U, the dean of students from 1976-1989 always put students fir ...

The final Sea Secrets lecture at the Rosenstiel School examines the biofluorescence of marine organi ...

Maintenance mechanic Milton Davis has kept UM housing humming for decades. ...

No. 7 seed Miami opens its run at the 2018 ACC Baseball Championship Tuesday, May 22 against No. 11 ...

After 25 years, head coach Jim Morris had just one request for the pregame festivities for his final ...

In honor of Jim Morris' final regular season game as head coach at Miami on Saturday, May 19, t ...

Sophomore righthander Evan McKendry struck out 11 to help lead the Hurricanes to their 10thstraight ...

Check out over 60 of the top pictures from the Miami women's tennis team's matchup with to ...