Every guy loves to test the taken waters

I love meeting people, especially women.

Whether they’re taken or not doesn’t matter in the interest of being social. The latter, however, is always preferable for obvious reasons.

It is interesting, though, to get feedback from  women who are taken. Some like to tell you up front they have a significant other so they don’t get your hopes up. There’s also a small group of calculating and sadistic women who like to casually slip their relationship into conversation weeks down the road, expecting me to either reveal a tick of disgust or be ambivalent over the matter.

Some girls are simply friendly, with no ulterior motive except the satisfaction of knowing that if they were on the dating market, they would still be desirable. But guys can overlook girls’ seemingly innocent kindness as an open invitation to “swoop in,” despite their relationship status.

Other girls feel the need to “remind” you every five seconds about their boyfriend. This is because they are unhappy with the current state of affairs, they feel disloyal confiding in other men or they are conflicted, all of which elicits a migraine or two.

For example, I could be talking to a girl about a difficult homework assignment and she immediately interjects about her boyfriend’s flawless work ethic and dedication to his degree, which is irrelevant and uninteresting.

If you are a girl who can’t resist these schizophrenic tendencies, refrain from doing so, and if that isn’t possible, cease all communication. There are things I do in my daily routine such as taking bathroom breaks and checking the mail, but I withhold such information because I know it bores others. I know you are capable of refraining when need be.

Furthermore, for guys who like taken girls, but don’t feel like becoming involved in a love triangle, remember that patience is a virtue (or so I’ve been told), and the most rewarding investments are those that take time and care.

Evan Seaman is a junior majoring in marketing. He may be contacted at eseaman@themiamihurricane.com.

Evan Seaman

Contributing Columnist

Michael Rumph, former Cane cornerback and current cornerbacks coach, has mentioned, along with every ...

N’Kosi Perry, definitely on the quiet side, met the media for the first time on Monday. He’s the Mia ...

On a day in which University of Miami football coach Mark Richt said veteran quarterbacks Malik Rosi ...

Week three of fall camp began today, and the first practice after Saturday’s first scrimmage of camp ...

Researchers use a powerful technique known as Interferometric Synthetic Aperture Radar to show an in ...

UM’s First Star Academy supports foster care youth. ...