V's Take

Dear V: My guy’s junk is in a funk

My boyfriend and I are both seniors and have been together since pretty much the beginning of freshman year. We’re madly in love and there’s never a dull moment in bed. Now that graduation is fast approaching, I feel like it’s time to start thinking about the “next step.” One night I mentioned the possibility of marriage to him, and he got all awkward and quiet. Since then, whenever we try and get it on, he either has trouble getting it up, or he goes flaccid in the middle. Should I not have mentioned this? Did I do something wrong? How do I fix this? Do you think that our relationship is doomed?? Help me!

Chick chewing on her foot

Dear Foot Chewer,

Take a deep breath, there is no reason to think your relationship is headed off the deep end. Honestly, I think it’s perfectly natural to bring up the scary topic in your situation- you all have been together for awhile and if you’re as in love as you say you are, why would you want to stop dating? Your boy’s reaction, however, is also very normal and to be expected, as most men this age run from commitment like the plague.

As a result of this fear, it can be a natural reaction to have some… unexpected shortcomings in the bedroom. Strong emotions can display themselves in physical ways, much like it seems you’re dealing with. Unless something else is also affecting him (which is unlikely considering the timing), what you said has probably had some affect on his man parts.  This doesn’t mean, however, that you shouldn’t have mentioned it, or that you did anything wrong. This is clearly an issue that you felt needed discussing and as a couple “madly in love” you two should be able to discuss it.

If the topic really did make him uncomfortable, tell him to relax and not worry about it just yet. You don’t want just thinking about what could happen down the road to ruin the time you have together right now. Once he relaxes and stops worrying about everything, all parts should be back to normal.

Best,

Have a question for V? Hit up DearV@themiamihurricane.com.

Advice Columnist

The University of Miami got off to a dream start, but could not hold on against No. 1 and defending ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Boston College | Feb. 24, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

Lonnie Walker IV’s 3-pointer with 2.3 seconds remaining capped a 14-point comeback and lifted Miami ...

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

Lonnie Walker IV's three with 2.4 seconds left propelled Miami past BC at the Watsco Center. ...

No. 24 Miami dropped the second game of a rivalry series with No. 1 Florida Saturday night, falling ...

The Miami women's tennis team got back to its winning ways Saturday afternoon, defeating Georgi ...

The two-time defending ACC indoor champion Miami women could not make it a three-peat on Saturday, b ...

Kevin Arreaga's bronze medal in the men's weight throw led the Canes on Friday in Clemson. ...