Tennis

Canes lose to Baylor

The Miami Hurricanes women’s tennis team was handed their first loss of the season this past Saturday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables.

The competition started off with doubles play, as  No. 3 ranked Gabriela Mejia and Laura Vallverdu fell to No. 13 Lenka Broosova and Csilla Borsanyi of Baylor, 5-8.

The Bears’ Nina Secerbegovic and Karolina Filipiak defeated the ‘Canes’  Danielle Mills and Claudia Wasilewski with their relentless front court play , 9-8 to take two out of the three doubles matches earning them the game’s first overall point.

Down 1-0 heading into singles play, Miami began to rally and seemed as though they would run away with the contest.

In the second flight spot, Bianca Eichkorn, ranked No. 99 in the nation, defeated No.70 Csilla Borsanyi convincingly,  7-5, 6-0 to tie Miami up 1-1.

Next, UM’s Danielle Mills beat Karolina Filipiak in the fifth spot, 6-3, 6-4 to put Miami ahead 2-1.

After  No. 93 Gabriela Mejia defeated Baylor’s Taylor Oromond 6-4, 6-2, the ‘Canes were up 3-1 and needed just one more victory from either their ace, Laura Vallverdu, or from Anna Bartenstein or Claudia Wasilewski.

All three matches were decided in three sets, as these two top ten teams battled back and fourth.

Wasilewski was the first to fall, to BU’s Carla Lindlar, 6-0, 4-6, 6-2. Miami was still up overall 3-2, but Baylor was beginning to show signs of life, and on courts one and three, Vallverdu and Bartenstein were struggling to win just one last set that would give the Hurricanes the victory.

Vallverdu opened with a first set victory, 6-3 to No. 17 ranked Lenka Broosova, and despite having a 4-3 lead in the second set, Broosova forced a third set with her come from behind 6-4 win. In the third, and final, set Vallverdu again had a lead of 3-2, but Lenka came back once more to take the match, 6-4, and the point tying the Bear’s with the ‘Canes, 3-3.

All of the attention had now shifted towards the third court as Anna Bartenstein was in a third set of her own, with BU’s Nina Secerbegovic, only this set would determine the fate of each University.

Tied in the last set 3-3, Secerbegovic proved to be to much, as she, and subsequently the Baylor Bears came out on top, handing the University of Miami their first loss of the season 4-3.

Miami will have to re group after a heart breaking loss and  travel to the A.C. Nielsen Tennis Stadium in Madison, Wisconsin on Friday, Feb. 12 to take on the No. 12 UCLA Bruins.

Andrew Dymburt may be contacted at adymburt@themiamihurricane.com.

Andrew Dymburt

March is just around the corner; and University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larrañaga wants his pl ...

Erykah Davenport always hated being The Tall Girl. Every class picture, she was in the back row, tow ...

A little more than two years ago, Larry Scott was serving as the Miami Hurricanes’ interim head coac ...

The college basketball world woke up Friday morning to a bombshell report by Yahoo Sports detailing ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The Miami women's basketball team plays its last game of the 2017-18 regular season Sunday at 4 ...

Canes and Eagles play at 2 p.m. Saturday in key ACC matchup. ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Miami women's tennis team resumes play Saturday with its second match of the season at a ne ...

Check out the best images from Day 1 at the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships. ...