Basketball

To win a true leader is needed

There was so much promise at the beginning of the season.

The Hurricanes were off to their best start since the 1959-60 season with a 15-1 record and had hopes for a NCAA Tournament berth.

Their  team had a mix of experience and youth. They were full of energy and were lighting it from anywhere on the court. They had it going on.

But then they hit the ACC stretch of the season.

There is still hope, but chances are getting slimmer and slimmer with every loss the Hurricanes keep taking. If the Hurricanes don’t fix three things, then this will not be a successful season for the team, and they know it.

The Hurricanes have to stop turning it over. They drastically need to improve their road woes, and they need a leader – a true leader.

Winning the turnover battle is one of the biggest statistics in college basketball. Miami just seems to have that problem this year in the ACC. Careless turnovers have plagued them. They have averaged more than 17 turnovers the past four games. That’s too many, especially in the ACC.

Another thing is head coach Frank Haith has voiced his displeasure that his team is lacking senior vocal leadership. Haith knows seniors James Dews, Adrian Thomas and Dwayne Collins are not like former great Jack McClinton in the leadership aspect.

“[Dews, Thomas, and Collins] are really not vocal players,” he said. “That’s the not the type of player they are. They rather lead by their play. We are lacking a senior leader vocally.”

This is the first season without McClinton, and it truly shows that they are missing his presence. There is no one that can put this team on their back and carry them to the NCAA Tournament. So far, on the road no one seems to have taken that step to lead the team when the team is down.

As  a player it’s hard after watching McClinton lead for the past three seasons, to be thrown into that role.

Miami is focused at home and their problems don’t reside at the Bank United Center. Their problems stem  from being away from home. The Canes have been blown out three times on the road this season in the ACC. They had to fight off a 16-point deficit at Boston College and had to rally from down 17 points at Wake Forest. The Hurricanes are just getting into a hole on the road in the ACC. They need to turn it around quick.

They were 2-6 in the ACC two years ago when they made it to the NCAA Tournament. That team won six of their last eight regular season games. Haith has been down this path before so he knows what it feels like.

However, it’s not that simple. This is not Miami’s year for a great run like two seasons ago. But, this team will be definitely better next year.

Lelan LeDoux may be contacted lledoux@themiamihurricane.com

Lelan LeDoux

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Draft-eligible Canes players are getting increasing recog ...

Three days after the University of Miami announced that defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski was le ...

Not only are the Hurricanes in the mix for at least five high-end running backs for the 2019 class, ...

After assembling one of the nation’s best groups of skill position players in the 2018 recruiting cl ...

Coach Kool, AKA Craig Kuligowski, is gone from the University of Miami, which is entirely uncool wit ...

Student a cappella group BisCaydence wins quarterfinals and advances to the next round in the intern ...

A closer look at the University of Miami's executive vice president for business and finance an ...

The popular Christian minister preached to more people than any other evangelist in history. ...

A vigil on the University of Miami campus, organized by UM students who graduated from Marjory Stone ...

The latest speaker in the popular lecture series at the Rosenstiel School, Jeff Goodell, shared insi ...

The University of Miami women's track team kicked off the 2018 ACC Indoor Championships with a ...

Continuing a season-opening, seven-game homestand, No. 24 Miami is looking for its second straight s ...

The Hurricanes fell in their final road game of the season, 70-51, at Georgia Tech. ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team (5-2) returns to the court on Friday at 4 p.m., as it ...

Former Hurricane guard signs 10-day contract with Indiana Pacers. ...