The right man for the job

A University of Miami alumnus is getting a shot in the minor leagues, and it’s not a baseball player.

Alex Margulies, who graduated last spring, will be the play-by-play commentator for the Fort Myers Miracle, a minor league affiliate for the Minnesota Twins.

Alex said the journey to landing this job went back his winter break last year.

“I flew out to Vegas with a few friends of mine for the minor league baseball winter meetings, and saw a job posting for the Miracle as a broadcaster,” he said.

However, Margulies didn’t panic after not getting the job.

“I sent e-mails to teams in all the summer leagues including the Cape Cod league,” he said. “I eventually ended up getting a job with the Outer Banks Daredevils of the Coastal Plain League.”

Senior Rory Lincoln, former executive producer of SportsDesk, said that Margulies was always looking to do whatever he could.

“Since I’ve known him, he has always been a good worker,” Lincoln said. “He’s always looking for the next story, and he’s a great broadcasting talent.

Margulies was out of a job until he got a phone call.

“Fort Myers called me and I met with them in November,” he said. “I sat down and met with the general manager Steve Gliner and I had a pretty good feeling I was going to get the job, being that I was the runner-up the year before, and that they called to bring me in again.”

Communications professor Ed Julbe, moderator of SportsDesk, said he wasn’t surprised Margulies landed a job so quickly after graduation.

“He has a strong work ethic and he’s really knowledgeable, so I wasn’t surprised when I heard he got a job right away,” Julbe said. “He’ll definitely be moving up, and I’m sure we will be hearing him calling professional baseball at some point.”

Margulies said right now, he’s laying it all out on the line.

“I’m going for it, and I’m hoping to be a broadcaster for a professional team,” he said. “That’s the goal right now.”

Eric Hahn may be contacted at ehahn@themiamihurricane.com.

Eric Hahn

The college football season doesn't begin until the end of August, but that never stops media o ...

There were indications, even before Lonnie Walker IV was selected No. 18 by the San Antonio Spurs in ...

Add another player to the Miami Hurricanes' 2019 recruiting class. Defensive end Jahfari Harvey ...

From the onset, the Miami Hurricanes' plan was for the Carol Soffer football indoor practice fa ...

Gino DiMare on Tuesday stood in a spot that two men before him had crafted into a pinnacle of succes ...

At the University of Miami, employee recognition comes in many forms. ...

Community art project encourages the public to explore the vibrant downtown area of Coral Gables and ...

It appears that his third run for the presidency will be successful as he distances himself from the ...

Anna Runia won the women's 400m hurdles at the Netherlands track and field championships, while ...

The University of Miami volleyball program will host nine ACC home matches and the Sunshine State Ch ...

Walker picked 18th overall by San Antonio Spurs, Brown 42nd by Detroit Pistons. ...

Gino DiMare was introduced as the 10th head baseball coach in Canes' history. ...

The University of Miami women's golf team had three individuals selected to the 2018 Atlantic C ...