Sports Briefs – Feb 6

Women’s Basketball:

The Hurricanes snapped their three-game losing streak, toppling the ninth-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels on Thursday, 80-69.

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal was named a second-team pre-season All-American by Baseball America on Thursday, for his second preseason honor. He led the Hurricanes with 16 home runs in 2009 and earned All-ACC second-team honors.

The 12th-ranked baseball team will host its fourth annual Fanfest this Saturday at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. The event, which will start at 3:30 p.m, is free to the public.

A home run derby will feature former players like Yonder Alonso (Cincinnati Reds) and Ryan Braun (Milwaukee Brewers) against current players like Yasmani Grandal and Ryan Perry. An alumni game will follow and feature Kyle Bellamy, Cesar Carrillo and Carlos Gutierrez.

Track & Field:

Former University of Miami standout and Olympian Lauryn Williams was named sixth overall in the category of “Top Performer of the Decade” by Track & Fields News.

Williams was a nine-time All-American for the Canes from 2002-2004, which included a national championship in the 100-meter dash in 2004.

News from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at ccestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Darrell Langham's miraculous 28-yard catch set up Michael Badgley's game-winning field goa ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play Sunday evening at the 2017 Oracle/ITA ...

The University of Miami women's rowing team opened the fall portion of its 2017-18 schedule on ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami volleyball team demonstrated skill on both sides of the ball Sunday, sweepin ...