Sports Briefs – Feb 6

Women’s Basketball:

The Hurricanes snapped their three-game losing streak, toppling the ninth-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels on Thursday, 80-69.

Baseball:

Junior catcher Yasmani Grandal was named a second-team pre-season All-American by Baseball America on Thursday, for his second preseason honor. He led the Hurricanes with 16 home runs in 2009 and earned All-ACC second-team honors.

The 12th-ranked baseball team will host its fourth annual Fanfest this Saturday at Alex Rodriguez Park at Mark Light Field. The event, which will start at 3:30 p.m, is free to the public.

A home run derby will feature former players like Yonder Alonso (Cincinnati Reds) and Ryan Braun (Milwaukee Brewers) against current players like Yasmani Grandal and Ryan Perry. An alumni game will follow and feature Kyle Bellamy, Cesar Carrillo and Carlos Gutierrez.

Track & Field:

Former University of Miami standout and Olympian Lauryn Williams was named sixth overall in the category of “Top Performer of the Decade” by Track & Fields News.

Williams was a nine-time All-American for the Canes from 2002-2004, which included a national championship in the 100-meter dash in 2004.

News from hurricanesports.com

Calvin Cestari can be contacted at ccestari@themiamihurricane.com

Calvin Cestari

Contributing Sports Writer

The unopened Christmas gift that University of Miami defensive coordinator Manny Diaz recently spoke ...

The University of Miami is in conversations about playing the University of Alabama to kick off the ...