Not so diverse after all

Special Interest Housing offers students at the University of Miami a special opportunity. There is no debating that it allows residents to immerse themselves into activities that reflect the floor theme.
However, it is not necessary to make these shared passions into a whole living environment. By doing this, students are engrossed into a like-minded community, and one of the biggest advantages of UM, the diverse student body, is lessened.
These shared interests can be enjoyed in a club format. The same activities can be supplied and similar bonds can be formed, yet when these students go home, they have people around them that do not think exactly like them.
For example, students on the CASTLE floor could still be involved with alternative spring break and form substance free Halloween parties as alternatives to drinking in the Grove.
After these events, students would still have to come back to their rooms and spend time with people whose habits they might not enjoy.
It is crucial to experience these altering views now. Situations after graduation will not be filled with people you are in complete agreement with. Learning how to overcome these differences is important. Furthermore, by diversifying your living arrangement, students might find new interest they couldn’t have on a theme floor.
Granted these students do not spend all their time in the dormitories. The Special Interest students will still get to interact with peers with a different nature in classes and through campus activities, but this time pales in comparison to the amount of time spent in a dorm room.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

Dewan Huell will be wearing green and orange for at least another year. Huell announced Saturday on ...

Their bats and gloves and baseball skills weren't enough Thursday night. Now, the Miami Hurrica ...

Florida State's recruiting trail hit Georgia last week, and while the #Tribe19 class is a focal ...

It's almost summer, time for college football players to wind down and chill out — every now an ...

Alumna and faculty member shares lessons and learning about racial identity in free parent community ...

Voters head to the polls in a historic election to choose the country’s next president. ...

From boathouse to marine research powerhouse, the Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Scienc ...

Stormy weather in the Gulf of Mexico may have delayed Friday's competition, but wind and rain c ...

Last season, Miami Hurricanes fans created, quite simply, one of the best home-field advantages in c ...

University of Miami senior Christian Langmo and freshman Adria Soriano were edged by Florida's ...

After rallying to force a split, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miamis women's tennis team was u ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will wrap up the memorable 2018 season as No. 42 in t ...