Not so diverse after all

Special Interest Housing offers students at the University of Miami a special opportunity. There is no debating that it allows residents to immerse themselves into activities that reflect the floor theme.
However, it is not necessary to make these shared passions into a whole living environment. By doing this, students are engrossed into a like-minded community, and one of the biggest advantages of UM, the diverse student body, is lessened.
These shared interests can be enjoyed in a club format. The same activities can be supplied and similar bonds can be formed, yet when these students go home, they have people around them that do not think exactly like them.
For example, students on the CASTLE floor could still be involved with alternative spring break and form substance free Halloween parties as alternatives to drinking in the Grove.
After these events, students would still have to come back to their rooms and spend time with people whose habits they might not enjoy.
It is crucial to experience these altering views now. Situations after graduation will not be filled with people you are in complete agreement with. Learning how to overcome these differences is important. Furthermore, by diversifying your living arrangement, students might find new interest they couldn’t have on a theme floor.
Granted these students do not spend all their time in the dormitories. The Special Interest students will still get to interact with peers with a different nature in classes and through campus activities, but this time pales in comparison to the amount of time spent in a dorm room.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial staff.

University of Miami men’s basketball coach Jim Larrañaga, his face showing the strain of an ongoing ...

The No. 8 Hurricanes,  20 1/2-point favorites over next opponent North Carolina, are still one of on ...

Kudos to the two newest Atlantic Coast Conference Players of the Week: tight end Christopher Herndon ...

A University of Miami Ph.D. student in the Department of History sheds light on the dark history of ...

The Hurricanes may be young, but they have the talent and poise to make a deep run in March. ...

Miami tight end Christopher Herndon and linebacker Michael Pinckney were among those recognized with ...