John Mayer “Battle Studies” concert leaves audience on edge of desire

John Mayer’s “Battle Studiesconcert at the BankAtlantic Center on Thursday was like a beautiful disaster of a relationship- raunchy and reciprocal with intentions of staying the night. Starting off with a few sweet treats, he flattered the audience with his lyrical luster.

After a few drinks and some smooth talking, he shyly revealed the pinnacle of his talent when he played songs off his “Continuum” album. It was almost a spiritual experience- staring glossy-eyed at the white streams of light puncturing the billowing smoke and repeating the mantra, “keep me where the light is.

John Mayer performed Thursday at the Bank Atlantic Center in Sunrise, Fla. // Photo credit: Steven Magedoff

After belting out the painfully delicious “Gravity,” he finished the escalating concert with a divine guitar solo that could only be described as ‘orgasmic.’ It was as if after that moment of heightened pleasure, where concert-goers connected on a deeper level than simply that of performer and audience; we saw the real John Mayer.

As his fingers slid gently over the tense frets, and the notes bent in ways too pleasing for words, the vulnerable side under Mayer’s current bad-boy, “Perfectly Lonely” persona reared its handsome head.

“You sound beautiful,” he softly told the shrieking audience, as if the last thing he expected was sincere, intense praise after shredding the guitar and our hearts.

Focused primarily on Mayer’s newest studio album, “Battle Studies,” the show featured mostly new material, but did not neglect his three other solo albums.

In addition to being a phenomenal performer, Mayer made the night for many of his most loyal fans when he spent 15 minutes signing autographs outside of his tour bus.

“Back up a little bit,” he told bubbling teenage fans after the show. He laughed deeply and uncapped a Sharpie and said reassuringly, “I’m not going anywhere.”

Nicolette Roque

Assistant News Editor

University of Miami coach Mark Richt called Darrell Langham’s amazing, 28-yard catch on fourth-and-1 ...

Darrell Langham is 6-4, but might as well be 8-4 — that’s how much he has grown in stature for the M ...

The Miami Hurricanes have done it again. For the second week in a row, the Canes rallied to win in t ...

Five of the greatest football players of all time were inducted into the Miami Hurricanes Ring of Ho ...

View photos from the Georgia Tech at Miami game Saturday, Oct. 14, 2017, at Hard Rock Stadium in Mia ...

Hurricanes legends Michael Irvin, Ray Lewis, Ed Reed, Warren Sapp and Sean Taylor were officially ad ...

University of Miami wide receiver Darrell Langham and kicker Michael Badgley were among those recogn ...

University of Miami redshirt setter Haley Templeton was named ACC Player of the Week, the conference ...

Freshman Bojan Jankulovski highlighted Day 2 competition on Saturday for the University of Miami men ...

The University of Miami's football game at North Carolina on Oct. 28 will kick off at noon ET o ...