Healthy cane column: Find ‘The Burn:’ tips for taking your stomach from flab to ab

What is it that every gym goer wants more than anything for Christmas? World peace? Economic recovery? No, my friends, it’s something more important than any of those things.
They want a trophy to wear under their skin with pride and pomp; the visual proof of ultimate fitness. I’m talking about a shredded midsection capable of grating parmesan of course! If you walk into any gym at any time, the mat area is the most populated. A sea of people contorting in ways you never thought possible as they try desperately to find “the burn” that lets them know their efforts are not in vain. Every day they are at the gym, abs are part of their routines, a part of their lives.
Don’t get me wrong, I am all about the abs baby, but there are some considerations that should be shared to make your quest much more fruitful. First, how will you be able to see those brand new ripples with a blanket of fat conveniently stored between your muscles and skin?
If you have a little extra meat around the midsection, then you should be focusing more on cardio. Increase the aerobic component of your workout until you reach a leanness that permits you to see your hard work.
Second, people like to say they want a “flat stomach.” What happens when you exercise any muscle? It gets bigger! This is called hypertrophy, and how do you propose to get your abs more defined without them getting bigger and bulging out more?  Your best bet is to get rid of the weights you are using to make your abs workout more difficult, and instead just focus on doing more repetitions and hitting them from more angles. This will serve two purposes: you will actually burn more calories, making you leaner, and you will avoid the bulking you see when using heavy weights.
So remember, if you want to trade in that keg for a six-pack, then hit the treadmill and get creative on the mat using your body weight as resistance.

Extra Tip: When performing straight leg lifts while lying on your back, make sure your lower back stays on the mat and that you maintain a slight bend in the knees. This puts the emphasis on the abdominals and not the hip flexors.

Jeremy Albelda is a senior exercise physiology major and a personal trainer. E-mail health questions to him at jalbelda@themiamihurricane.com.

Jeremy Albelda

29 COMMENTS ON THIS POST To “Healthy cane column: Find ‘The Burn:’ tips for taking your stomach from flab to ab”

Darrell Langham, the redshirt junior receiver who caused an uproar among Miami Hurricanes fans the p ...

This news release just in from the University of Miami, another impressive class about to be inducte ...

The University of Miami men’s basketball team got a welcome dose of good news on Monday night. Verno ...

After a disheartening week of practice injury-wise following the University of Miami’s victory at Fl ...

University of Miami’s highly-touted freshman Lonnie Walker, who had surgery for a torn right meniscu ...

Darrell Langham has been a hero twice this season, but his path to prominence has been a long one. ...

The University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame has announced the Class of 2018 inductees for the 50th A ...

Senior diver Wally Layland was recognized for her standout performance at the SMU Classic with ACC C ...

University of Miami freshman Lonnie Walker IV was among 20 players named to the watch list for the 2 ...

The Miami Hurricanes will begin preparation for the 2018 season when fall practice commences Wed., O ...